• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:07 AM

What is a rebuilt lens? What has been done to it, or should have been done, and how does a rebuild compare to a new lens?

#2 andrewbuchanan

andrewbuchanan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:35 AM

When I have seen this term used it usually refers to a non-cine type of lens like a Nikkor or Leica that has been put into a new housing with proper marking and mechanics for cinematography use. Often a BNCR or PL mount is added and integrated iris and focus gears are installed. Sometimes it refers to a older cine lens that has been updated with the same stuff. Don't think of it like a rebuilt engine (something that is worn-out and needs repair), rather think of the rebuild referring to modification. I have a rebuilt set of Cooke Speed Panchros and some Samcine Nikons. They look like they were made with new lenses.

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:40 AM

I have a rebuilt set of Cooke Speed Panchros and some Samcine Nikons. They look like they were made with new lenses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

If your thinking of selling the Cooke Speed Pancros let me know!

Stephen Williams

www.stephenw.com

#4 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:22 AM

Understanding a rebuild in this way, I assume that no work is done to replace lens elements or correct for scratches, etc.

How hard it is to find older lenses that are not showing signs of use that impair them optically or mechanically?

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

Understanding a rebuild in this way, I assume that no work is done to replace lens elements or correct for scratches, etc.

How hard it is to find older lenses that are not showing signs of use that impair them optically or mechanically?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Centuary rebuild some new still camera zoom lenses. The final cost is arroud $17000! Many times the cost of the original lens. The rebuilt Cookes have modern style & well marked barrels. There would be no point in rebuilding a lens with damaged optics. Front and rear elements will often be replaced and modern coatings applied.

Old Cooke/Zeiss lenses are fine if they have been looked after, just don't compare the mechanical design or optical performance with the lateat glass.

Stephen

#6 andrewbuchanan

andrewbuchanan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:09 AM

If your thinking of selling the Cooke Speed Pancros let me know!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stephen, tried to PM you, but I'm not sure it went through. I'm on a real POS computer today. Let me know if you got it.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Technodolly

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks