#1 Eric Steelberg ASC

Eric Steelberg ASC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:12 PM

I have to begin by saying all of the commercials I've done, 'cept for a regional in New Mexico, have been shot in 35.

I was offered a very small PSA and took it based on the storyboards and the director. It was for a fairly big commercial house and they told me the agency was insisting on using the DVX-100. I was a bit, shall we say, put off by the idea but was determined to make it work. I've always loved a challenge.

The shoot was day exterior in a neighborhood culdesac...at 105º. Not the most ideal conditions also because all the homes on the street were bright white.

We took everything into color correction this morning and I have to say that it was giving 35 a run for it's money. I couldn't believe it. I had told the director I would make it look as good as it's possible to get from the camera. I had no idea it would turn out so rich and clean.

I guess what surprises me is that I've shot with the camera many times before inside and at night...all natural, often low, light. I can say now that adding some contrat through lighting and stopping down to the 'sweet' part of the lens yields an incredible image. I can't say enough about how thrilled I am.

For anyone on the fence about using this camera for high end work, I can tell you I have switched from a skeptic to a believer.

I also want to say that Abel Cine Tech here in LA was incredibly accomodating to myself and the production.

I'll let everyone know when it's on air so so you can judge for yourselves.

#2 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

I saw a trailer for "November", also shot on that camera, the other day before "Happy Endings." I could not believe how sweet the footage looked. Granted, the screens at the Landmark theater I was at are smaller than your typical big chain screen, but still, it looked just as sharp and rich and whatnot as all the trailers before and after it. I just could not freakin' believe it. Usually miniDV on a big screen looks soft and funky, but it really looked good. So there.

#3 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:49 PM

I have to begin by saying all of the commercials I've done, 'cept for a regional in New Mexico, have been shot in 35.

I was offered a very small PSA and took it based on the storyboards and the director. It was for a fairly big commercial house and they told me the agency was insisting on using the DVX-100. I was a bit, shall we say, put off by the idea but was determined to make it work. I've always loved a challenge.

The shoot was day exterior in a neighborhood culdesac...at 105º. Not the most ideal conditions also because all the homes on the street were bright white.

We took everything into color correction this morning and I have to say that it was giving 35 a run for it's money. I couldn't believe it. I had told the director I would make it look as good as it's possible to get from the camera. I had no idea it would turn out so rich and clean.

I guess what surprises me is that I've shot with the camera many times before inside and at night...all natural, often low, light. I can say now that adding some contrat through lighting and stopping down to the 'sweet' part of the lens yields an incredible image. I can't say enough about how thrilled I am.

For anyone on the fence about using this camera for high end work, I can tell you I have switched from a skeptic to a believer.

I also want to say that Abel Cine Tech here in LA was incredibly accomodating to myself and the production.

I'll let everyone know when it's on air so so you can judge for yourselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi

so what is the sweet point for this cam??

p.s.

i have done commercials and music video with this cam

and i am in love with here !!!!
ram

#4 Timothy Brown

Timothy Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

Greetings,

Here is a pretty good article on video camera lenses and diffraction. It helps explain the "sweet spot" in layman's terms. http://www.dvinfo.ne...s/article19.php

#5 Eric Steelberg ASC

Eric Steelberg ASC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:22 PM

hi

so what is the sweet point for this cam??

p.s.

i have done commercials and music video with this cam

and i am in love with here !!!!
ram

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The sweet part of the lens seemed to be between 5.6 and 8. It's also worth mentioning I had a Polarizer and .3ND grad (minimum) on it the whole time.

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape