#1 Carl Weston

Carl Weston
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • New York City

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:16 PM

I?m planning on shooting a short film using vision 200 and was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on this film stock. I will be transferring this film to video.

Thanks for any help

Carl

Edited by carl Weston, 30 July 2005 - 01:17 PM.

#2 Carl Weston

Carl Weston
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • New York City

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

I see Vision 200 isn't a very popular film stock in this in this part of town...

#3 John Hyde

John Hyde
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:53 PM

I see Vision 200 isn't a very popular film stock in this in this part of town...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have had excellent results with the Vision 2 200ASA made by Kodak processed at Spectra Film in North Hollywood. It is probably the best multi purpose super 8 film available with low level of grain.

I usually shoot with a Canon 1014XLS. My results are nearly as good as 16mm. The latitude has really been helpful in pulling out a consistent looking picture. Excellent for both interiors and exteriors.

Be sure you buy Kodak brand stock, shoot with a good camera, get good exposures, and process/telecine at a good lab. If you disregard any of the points above, the quality drop will be significant.

#4 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:27 PM

Since Vision 2 200T came out, Vision 200T has been pretty much collecting dust. I've used both, and V2 just blows V out of the water.

#5 Carl Weston

Carl Weston
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • New York City

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:43 PM

I have had excellent results with the Vision 2  200ASA made by Kodak processed at Spectra Film in North Hollywood.  It is probably the best multi purpose super 8 film available with low level of grain.

I usually shoot with a Canon 1014XLS.  My results are nearly as good as 16mm.  The latitude has really been helpful in pulling out a consistent looking picture.  Excellent for both interiors and exteriors.

Be sure you buy Kodak brand stock, shoot with a good camera, get good exposures, and process/telecine at a good lab.  If you disregard any of the points above, the quality drop will be significant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the info....i wish I had a canon 1014xls..but I'm shooting with a Nizo S 80..I'll shoot a few test roll before I start shooting...
thanks again

#6 Gareth Munden

Gareth Munden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:49 AM

I have had excellent results with the Vision 2  200ASA made by Kodak processed at Spectra Film in North Hollywood.  It is probably the best multi purpose super 8 film available with low level of grain.

I usually shoot with a Canon 1014XLS.  My results are nearly as good as 16mm.  The latitude has really been helpful in pulling out a consistent looking picture.  Excellent for both interiors and exteriors.

Be sure you buy Kodak brand stock, shoot with a good camera, get good exposures, and process/telecine at a good lab.  If you disregard any of the points above, the quality drop will be significant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool , Can you post a screen grab from your stuff John I'd love to see it .

#7 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:58 PM

Waaaaaaaaaay too grainy for my taste.

MP

#8 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:25 PM

Waaaaaaaaaay too grainy for my taste.

MP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try a bit of overexposure to reduce the graininess. It keeps the shadow information off the larger "fast" silver halide grains, and moves the midtones to the fine-grained "slow" emulsions.

#9 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:36 AM

Try a bit of overexposure to reduce the graininess.  It keeps the shadow information off the larger "fast" silver halide grains, and moves the midtones to the fine-grained "slow" emulsions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still like the 200 Vision 2 made by Kodak. It is a great stock for my lit interiors. But, it has its limitations as a good exterior stock capable of consistently delivering low grain pictures. It just does not function as well as the 50D outside.

I hate to say this, but I am forced to buy 50D from the other guys (who shall remain nameless). Their film and processing quality is marginal at best. But I really need the 50D to make some of my shoots work.

I wish Kodak would produce the 50D so I could buy all my film from them and shoot film more often for my low budget projects.

Technodolly

Glidecam

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

CineTape

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc