• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:03 AM

Last week I went to edit a few simple shots together and do a bit of post for some 'dream sequences' for a new broadway musical. The footage was shot on the D20 and recorded straight to an SR1 recorder. As the kit was supplied for free from Arri and they didn't have an SR studio deck available we were given the SR1 to play into our edit suite (an FCP) system. I went through the rushes and logged the shots with the director and then left the suite to have a beer while it batch digitised. When I returned to the suite ten minutes later to check on the digitising I found that FCP continuoulsy failed to follow the timecode after a couple of seconds. I spent the next few hours tearing my hair out fiddling around with every area of the suite which could be a potential problem before calling it a day and sending a paper edit to a post house to extract our takes. The next day the producer called me to say he spoke to arri and they said that the SR1 has a serious software flaw which means it sends out inconsistant timecode causeing NLE's to freak out! This wont be sorted out till at least september. honestly SR is begining to become a byword for nightmare to me.

If your interested the shots looked very nice although I could not examine them too closely as the footage wouldn't didge propperly. Their were lots of moody atmospheric lighting and there was a good tonal range in the fire and candles. The DP was impressed with the D20 although it is still a demo camera. Most of the problems in the shoot were due to a lack of basic mounts and accesorries and Arri told him these problems should all be ironed out in October/ November.

Keith

#2 Jason Rodriguez

Jason Rodriguez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:04 AM

It would be great to get some frame grabs when you get the time.

#3 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:28 AM

It would be great to get some frame grabs when you get the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll see what I can do, I'm currently not sure of any confidentiality issues hence the lack of production information in the last post. I'll speak to the director and if there is no problems I'll post them, if there is I'll see if I can send some out individually.

Keith

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc