Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:07 AM

Hello All,
I'm shopping at bh photo.com for a battery for my Eclair NPR. I'm not too familiar with the types of batteries and power, but there was a battery belt made by Bescor that was 12v with 7 amp hours. Could someone explain what amp hours means? How many mags do you estimate I could shoot with a battery of this strength. If this battery is not a good choice, what would you all recommend?
Best,
BR

#2 andrewbuchanan

andrewbuchanan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:44 PM

More amp hours = more run time. Amp hours are some equation of how many volts the battery can run at over a certain period of hours. Get a BIG battery, the biggest you can find. Driving a motor with a 400' film load is a lot bigger job than spinning a DV tape. Also, these are not lith-ion batteries like camcorders. So get a big one if you plan on running the camera for more than 1 or 2 mags at a time. My kit is 2 of the biggest 12V Bescors and one little one (so I can finish what I am doing when the two big ones cash out). Also, when you get one, be sure to include time to charge. Most of these take 16 - 20 hours to get a full charge.

#3 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:19 PM

So, how many mags could I get out of a 12 v, 7 amp hour? What size battery would you recommend (In terms of amp hours)
Best,
BR

#4 IvanKane

IvanKane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

So, how many mags could I get out of a 12 v, 7 amp hour? What size battery would you recommend (In terms of amp hours)
Best,
BR

What if you have an AC Motor, 4 pin Canon chord?
Can you just use any battery you would use for other Eclair NPR motors? or do I need something specificly for this one?

#5 Andy Sparaco SOC

Andy Sparaco SOC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 203 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago and most airline lounges

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:54 PM

Power Tool Batteries-Cheap, fast recharge, available everywhere, 12 volts or 14 volts for a little extra umph

Long Valley Equipment sells (do google search) a battery holder which is a Dewalt flash light which has been gutted with a lead wire soldered to the terminals in the battery holder. Comes out ending in a 4 pin XLR . Pin 1 is ground Pin 4 is hot. Just check the polarity with a volt meter.

Simple, elegant, cheap, indestructible and you can use the batteries for power tools

Edited by asparaco, 01 December 2005 - 04:57 PM.

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

The Slider

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam