#1 Jack Messitt

Jack Messitt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

I am shooting a movie in Belgium. We are shooting 35mm, but are most likely going to get a DVD release in the states. We are optimists, so we want to leave our options open for a theatrical release. Therefore, we are going to shoot 24fps.

But since all our post-production in is being done in Europe and Asia, our telecine transfer is limited to Digibeta PAL.

No one here seems to be able to give me an answer to how I get the 24 fps in sync with the PAL 25fps for the telecine (NTSC does not seem to be an option).

I understand that one option is to ghost frame the 24th frame to fill the void. But I hear that this causes studdering in the picture.

And what does this do to our NTSC conversion for a US release?

Any suggestions?

#2 oao

oao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

hi, you can use a plug in like twixtor from revision fx [URL=http://www.revisionfx.com]

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

I am shooting a movie in Belgium. We are shooting 35mm, but are most likely going to get a DVD release in the states. We are optimists, so we want to leave our options open for a theatrical release. Therefore, we are going to shoot 24fps.

But since all our post-production in is being done in Europe and Asia, our telecine transfer is limited to Digibeta PAL.

No one here seems to be able to give me an answer to how I get the 24 fps in sync with the PAL 25fps for the telecine (NTSC does not seem to be an option).

I understand that one option is to ghost frame the 24th frame to fill the void.  But I hear that this causes studdering in the picture.

And what does this do to our NTSC conversion for a US release?

Any suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Everything just runs 4% fast! you may need to change the pitch of the sound, not everybody bothers!

Most people in PAL areas shoot at 25 and then the cinema version works out 4% longer!

Stephen Williams Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post