#1 Jack Messitt

Jack Messitt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:16 PM

I am shooting a movie in Belgium. We are shooting 35mm, but are most likely going to get a DVD release in the states. We are optimists, so we want to leave our options open for a theatrical release. Therefore, we are going to shoot 24fps.

But since all our post-production in is being done in Europe and Asia, our telecine transfer is limited to Digibeta PAL.

No one here seems to be able to give me an answer to how I get the 24 fps in sync with the PAL 25fps for the telecine (NTSC does not seem to be an option).

I understand that one option is to ghost frame the 24th frame to fill the void. But I hear that this causes studdering in the picture.

And what does this do to our NTSC conversion for a US release?

Any suggestions?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:24 PM

You can transfer the 24 fps footage 1:1 to PAL by running it at 25 fps. So eveery frame of video will equal one frame of film. So converting that to NTSC isn't hard because you'll just treat it as 23.976 fps footage and add a 3:2 pulldown to get 59.94i.

So the only issues are the sound speed for the PAL version and the NTSC version. Probably the sound will have to be shot for 24 fps projection speed and sped-up for the PAL transfer and edit, then normalized for NTSC (or it could be normal for PAL speed but slowed down for NTSC.)

Or if no theatrical release is planned, just shoot at 25 fps, post in PAL, and let the NTSC version be slightly slowed-down.

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

No one here seems to be able to give me an answer to how I get the 24 fps in sync with the PAL 25fps for the telecine (NTSC does not seem to be an option).

And what does this do to our NTSC conversion for a US release?

Any suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Quite often in Europe on lower budget films people shoot at 25 fps , its easier with flicker issues. The 4% speed change is not a big issue, the sound needs a pitch adjustment . All 24fps films get shown on PAL TV at 25fps.
If your going to Post in HD then shoot at 24 and post 24p.

Stephen Williams Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:17 PM

Hi,

If you are shooting a film that you think will have its market mostly on video in PAL countries, as is almost inevitable for European projects, conventional advice is to shoot at 25fps. It's more desirable to have your sound pitched slightly lower in the cinema than slightly higher on TV (even if you don't bother to correct it in the cinema, which is entirely possible) and it makes post a lot easier.

Shoot at 25.

Phil

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Visual Products

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc