#1 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:33 AM

I?m thinking of buying Serious Magic DV Rack. It is sort of a consumer version of a Monitor, Waveform, vector scope, and assorted other quality control devices. It works on your lap top. The HD version is going to set you back about $500. It looks like a cheap way to get a semi realistic wave form and Monitor on your lap top. Anyone familiar with it?

#2 Preston Herrick

Preston Herrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Producer
  • Washington

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:01 PM

I?m thinking of buying Serious Magic DV Rack.  It is sort of a consumer version of a Monitor, Waveform, vector scope, and assorted other quality control devices.  It works on your lap top.  The HD version is going to set you back about $500.  It looks like a cheap way to get a semi realistic wave form and Monitor on your lap top.  Anyone familiar with it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It works very well (I can only speak for the DV version) and provides a considerable amount of very accurate feeback. You can also calibrate the "monitor" just like you would a traditional CRT monitor. I would characterize the features as more professional than consumer. Bear in mind that the "HD" version is for HDV (not high-end HD) so the input is via firewire. The cool thing I like is being able to record to a hardrive - either for backup or to go tapeless. In my case I is use a WD external USB drive I bought at Costco - a single wire hookup. Plug the drive into the PC back at the studio and edit, or dump the file to the PC. Either way it's faster than capturing.

Edited by PrestonHerrick, 03 August 2005 - 04:02 PM.

#3 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

We have it. I don't think its a end all solution for a monitor considering on our Dell laptop highlights blow out faster on it than a crt. But the waveform,vectorscope, and all the other utilities are great and very accurate. It recorded to the hardrive very well even though on our latest shoot we were powering it through a power invertor that couldn't put out consitant power so while the laptop seemed to have trouble recording it, the results proved that if the system is strained the software puts recording the dv stream as number one priority over the displaying full frame rate video,waveform,or etc... Which is the way I would want it to work. I was very impressed by its stability and all the options it has. It even has adjustable aspect ratios,zebra stripes,and you can set it to show you points of overexposure or when the audio gos over a certain db. Its great!

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

CineLab