Darren O'Donnell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:46 AM

Hi all,

I just started a new job as a Multimedia Production Assistant for a University here in Canada.
We work on in-house productions (documentary style). The current storage/backup procedures here are being reviewed and it seems to me they are a bit archane.

Is the current industry standard to save work (Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, After Effects ect.) files on External Hard Drives? Some of our projects run 80-100 gigs,, and they are currently backing up on DVD,,, this makes no sense to me.

darrren

#2 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:28 AM

I work for a Big Corporation. Our ProTools and AfterEffects projects get backed up to DVD, but for most video projects, that's not practical. Currently for video, we use 400GB LaCie Big Disks for archiving the final clips and supporting graphics, animations, music, SFX, web-compressed clips, etc. (masters on tape as well), but raw captured footage is not archived; that would have to be re-captured from the logs and tapes.

We were going to implement a DAM (assets management system) called Documentum where everything is cross-referenced and searchable and all that, but our project timelines just don't allow the necessary time to do the data entry required on the front end to make it useful.

#3 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:21 AM

I work for a University as well. Granted that source tapes are free from timecode breaks, a FCP EDL is all you need to archive in order to reconnect all your media from tapes. Any CGs (graphics, titles, etc) and sound clips should be archived on CD or DVD. Program files should be archived as well (After Effects, Pro Tools, etc).We will print the completed project to a digital master tape.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

The Slider