Lisa Wiegand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:15 PM

Hello everyone -
I am going to be shooting on a golf course and need to get some helicopter shots. We will be shooting with DVX-100a's & I'm looking for a good steady mount for that camera. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them greatly :)

Thank you,

Lisa

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

Hello everyone -
I am going to be shooting on a golf course and need to get some helicopter shots.  We will be shooting with DVX-100a's & I'm looking for a good steady mount for that camera.  If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them greatly  :)

Thank you,

Lisa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Call your local TV station and see if you can get ahold of their "eye-in-the-sky" pilot and ask him/her. They have robotic rigs and would know where to hire them, might even be for hire themselves.

They would be specific to the cameras (lenses) they have, though. So rigging your DVX might pose a problem.

#3 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:16 PM

Do a search I posted a link to some gyros in the past. I think you can rent one for your camera for less than maybe $300 a day. I don't know what you mean by mount though, because you don't want to mount it to the helicopter which is what is causing the vibrations. If you have budget restrants I would just suggest just going handheld with a wide angle adaptor and flying low as you can get. The eye in the sky is a good idea if they would be willing to help you out. Most tv stations are used to low budget productions and would probably do a quick fly over for around $300 too. At least it seemed that way when I worked for a tv station, we almost gave away the production of the commercial to most importantly sell the airtime.

#4 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

\hi, there are 2 things that i usually do for this> none of them let me shot from the nose of the chopper but here it goes
1. Steadycam arm mounted on Car Mount rig. i screw it to a plywood the size of the floor of the chopper beetween front and back seat. the cam rides inside the chopper and the chopper does all the cam movement as a dolly, you have your head sets on and comunicate the pilot what you want to do.
2. Cheapier version> take your door out, should do the same above, no doors!!
and with 4 maffers on the 4 corners of the door space in the ship casket, lock the buongees hooks into the maffer clamps and tignten up by making nots on the buonngees, use a hi hat with no head, just cam siiting screwed onto hi hat or plywood 1x1 ft. the trick is to level pulling forces from buongees, so cam feels properly balanced. No big deal to do, but surely takes away most of that shaking. Ask your pilot, but by my experience, i can assure you that best flight hours are the first 3 hours after sun coming out. good luck

#5 Lisa Wiegand

Lisa Wiegand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:40 AM

These are all great ideas. I wonder if anyone has any comments about the Coptervision System. It's a remote control copter. This seems like a good option because I don't have to lose one of my camera people for the copter shots and I can have the pilots standing right next to me on the ground :) I would just be worried about the steadiness of the image. Thank you, Oscar, for the tip on the early morning hours.

Lisa

#6 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:14 AM

I havent used coptervision, I do understand that the system is developed from Colombia, if you want I can get you info on this, or if you want more info on the subject write directly to www.congofilmsamerica.com , Im sure they rent this kind of equipt, they are from Colombia. Another will be using a Tyler mount, with a technician from the rental house, \i dont think will be major trouble assembling it.
Another crazy stuff that I have done is to use speed rail in the skis of the chopper, and mount the cam very locked up in hi hat, very well secured, but that is here in central america, I dont know about flight safety down there if it is possible.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Willys Widgets