#1 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:53 PM

I was always amazed with how many people were cutting film the old way in the mid-late 90's, by watching DVD documentaries. By "how many" I mean more than zero. I was expecting nobody to do it by that time.

I am wondering, does anyone do it at all anymore?

And one more thing. How many people still make conventional dailies (prints) instead of video or HD dailies?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:10 PM

It wasn't until the mid 1990's that the editing systems got cheap enough for the lower-budget people to give up their flatbeds, plus there were a lot of bigger pictures with big-name editors still cutting the way they were used to -- why not? It worked for them in the past. They had workprint anyway from film dailies.

If you're shooting for projection, nothing is more informative than projecting a print made off of the negative with a set of known printer lights.

Unfortunately, for most of us, both HD dailes and print dailies are unaffordable, so we shoot semi in the dark until the answer print is made. We know if something is really wrong usually, but the subtleties are lost in most video dailies, if we are ultimately shooting for contact printing, not a D.I. or straight-to-video.

My first three features were cut on film and I learned more by watching those projected dailies than I practically have learned since. Now I rely on my experience from seeing those old dailies! I feel sorry for new DP's shooting features on film for print that never see anything printed & projected (other than a few tests and shots) until the answer print. But then, that's what I have to put up with now.

#3 Saul Pincus

Saul Pincus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:31 PM

My first three features were cut on film and I learned more by watching those projected dailies than I practically have learned since. Now I rely on my experience from seeing those old dailies!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rely on my extensive past experience with film dailies when judging soft focus material on video. Even with the tremendous number of variables built into the telecine process, I've found over a number of features that I can pretty accurately surmise how grave the focus issue will be when projected.

Saul

Edited by Saul Pincus, 03 August 2005 - 11:34 PM.

#4 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:41 AM

I read recently on a film database that the elderly gent who edits all of Steven Spielberg's films (and films by others) still edits on a Moviola upright.

Steven

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Opal

Technodolly