No replies to this topic

#1 Sam Javor

Sam Javor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:24 PM

It's been a while since I posted here when I was getting ready for my first DV feature... now that we're wrapping up (and I can no longer afford college this fall) I wanted to do some upgrades to my camera system.

For our feature I ghetto rigged a Panasonic WV-F250 (3ccd 750lines) to a Datavideo DAC100 analog to firewire converter (4:1:1) and ran that into an iBook G4 so we recorded direct to disk.

For SD I really liked shooting to disk even though our monstrosity had it's issues..ie disks had head crashes and the Mac dies in a scary manner every once in a while but all in all the system worked well over the past 6 months.

When we are finished though, I will no longer have access to the Mac (which I hate anyway) and am looking for a dedicated hard disk recorder that can do 4:2:2 video in the $1k or less range. I like the Rosendahl BonsaiDRIVE but I don't need that many features (and it's $2k). It doesn't really even need audio... and if there is one in the $500 range it would be great as I would be able to buy a second camera... :)

Some "preferences" would be:
standard IDE hard drives or commercially available external drives (like how the Firestore works)
ability to daisy chain external drives

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Sam Javor
zekthedeadcow@hotmail.com

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Opal

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport