look for a mafia kind of film

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rajavel

rajavel
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:35 AM

hi everybody
great. wish u all the same. my next film deals with the subject of mafia in rural india. i am wondering about the kind of look i can give for the film. i am basically looking at high contrast look. could someone suggest ideas. and also some interesting references (films or images) ..anything that can be an inspiration. thanks.

raj

#2 J Costantini

J Costantini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Rio de Janeiro

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:56 AM

Lighting suggestion: don´t be afraid of the dark...

If its B&W, I would suggest "the man who wasn´t there" as a reference (amongst the new age film)

#3 John Atala

John Atala
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • L.A. & Rio de Janeiro

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:58 AM

Hey there, check out "the godfather", its lighting is soft, and FROM THE TOP. And, like nillo said, dont be afraid of the dark. background lighting with hard lights.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:53 AM

Hi,

Depends what sort of sets/locations/people you will be shooting, and the storyline. What contrasts can you choose to show, and what character changes can you highlight with changes in the look? What do you want the photography to do?

Phil

#5 sneeze proof

sneeze proof
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne - Australia

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:32 AM

I just watched a doco on the National Geographic channel about the mafia and the real 'donnie brasco'
Alot of it had the subjects almost hidden in shadow, but still recognisable. It was quite well done.
It was definately high contrast and hard lighting.

#6 Eric Steelberg ASC

Eric Steelberg ASC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

Maybe try looking a still photos or photo books on India. Some films that might be of interest are "City of God", "City of Joy", and "Man on Fire."

Make it your own.

#7 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:26 PM

hi everybody
great. wish u all the same. my next film deals with the subject of mafia in rural india. i am wondering about the kind of look i can give for the film. i am basically looking  at high contrast look. could someone suggest ideas. and also some interesting references (films or images) ..anything that can be an inspiration. thanks.

raj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For a high-contrast look, check out the Spike Lee film, "Clockers". It had a really cool, primary colors look with very high contrast. Shot by Malik Sayeed. Looked alot like Kodachrome slides.

#8 rajavel

rajavel
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:20 PM

thanks a lot people. great to get so many sparks!!.thanks.
raj

#9 rajavel

rajavel
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:29 PM

Hi,

Depends what sort of sets/locations/people you will be shooting, and the storyline. What contrasts can you choose to show, and what character changes can you highlight with changes in the look? What do you want the photography to do?

Phil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes. Phil this is about a kid who is from a brahmanic family who is into vedas and slokas....basically scholastic. but sad incidents change his course where he loses his mom dad and he takes refuge with a muslim old man...and from there he goes (grown up version) and reaches a mafia group where he does the accounting and stuff but ends up charming the entire group. then clash with the opponenet and he loosees the boss. and he gets into action (rowdism) by chance and that life changes him is the story. so there is situatiunal change that changes the protagonist. i was thinking to soft light the character intially and as he goes thro and joins the mafia..make ti more contrasty. ofcourse..i love the photography to enhance the storytelling and the mood. any ideas suggestions

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

CineLab

Wooden Camera