#1 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:05 PM

Hi,

Does anybody know anything about a Mitchell Theodolite 35 mm Camera? It has the 35mm style movement but no registration pins! What was it uesd for?

Downix is the high bidder on one on E-Bay! I have often seen the magazines for sale but never the camera before!

Many thanks

Stephen Williams Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

#2 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:46 PM

Yes, I am the high bidder, but have not met the reserve. I've put it above what I'd even consider a fair price.

Pretty much what I've found out is this, the Theodolite was used a lot by the US military for tracking-cameras. I have several Theodolite magazines I use for experimenting now. But, lacking the registration pins, it is no more thrilling than a DeVry lunchbox. A Filmo would be a better deal, due to the more rugged construction. In the end, the Theodolite is too complex to be used in the tougher areas, but lacks the registration to make it as prized as the BNC.

I still want to own a Mitchell tho, hence why I put in as high as bid as I did. But if the reserve is that high, I'd pass on it. A Theodolite went on ebay for $200 a few months back, a complete model with magazines, motor and lens. This stripped down one wouldn't be as valuable.

Of course I wonder why people put such insane reserves on cameras. Shoot, I bought my old Mustang for less than this thing has for reserve.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

CineTape

Opal

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

CineLab

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc