#1 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

Greetings,

Can anyone recommend a wireless video transmitter/receiver system? It'll be used to monitor a second camera in a studio-type setup. I've searched and found what looks like a lot of cheap spy-type systems. The distance will be somewhere around 200 feet. The setup will be used for one hour once a week, and I would like to run a signal from camera 2 wirelessly so they can move around. It'll be used for monitoring, not recording. The camera will likely be an XL1s or XL2. The budget is $500 or less. I'd like a pack-type system rather than a tabletop system so it can be mounted either on the camera or tripod. I need something that looks fairly good, is reliable, and handles interference well.

Thanks.

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:56 PM

Well, I would recommend a modulus, but it's probably out of your price range even for a used one. There are a lot of different cheap ones that can be found on the web, but I haven't used any of those. A friend of mine has a Grand X tuner that he likes, but he uses it with a modulus. I think most of them are about the same quality, which is probably not that great. But for under $500 you're not going to find something perfect, so just pick one that looks good and cross your fingers. Maybe someone will chime in with better advice.

#3 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:08 PM

Marrell make the best (so most people say)

Technically (not that many people follow this) - there are two wavelengths that the transmitters work at - one is 2.4ghz and the other something else (1.2ghz?) ... in the uk it is technically illegal to use one of them (I think the 1.2ghz? one) because you are on tv station wavelengths and if they (I wasn't clear on who "THEY" were ) decided they could confiscate your equipment

This was all said to us but then I noticed the guy was using the illegal one - so...

The other problem is movement - and once again you pay for what you get. The high end ones work well when the camera or receiver is moving... the others (cheap ones 1.2ghz?) get this broken kind of wavelength thing going on and it is actually really tough to use (like on a camera car etc) and it doesn't look very professional

but cost is the huge difference - also ask at the steadicam forum or search the archives on it

Tell me what you get and how it works cause I need to do something similar at some stage - good luck!

thanks

rolfe

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:46 AM

Marrell make the best (so most people say)

rolfe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Modulus is the overwhelming standard....at least for steadicam operators and for handheld. I guess it's possible that the Marrell is more popular in the UK as that is where it is made, but I don't know anyone here in the US that owns one. There is a new transmitter called a Canatrans (made in Canada) that is suppossed to be above and beyond a Modulus, and there are also microwave transmitters that are suppossed to be next to flawless, but the Canatrans is $4000.00....and that doesn't include a receiver. I think these high end solutions are way beyond his price range. For the price you get what you get......something that works some of the time and has interference a fair amount of the time too. As far as I know there really isn't a cheap solution that is very reliable.
Posting this question on the steadicam forum would be a good idea.

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Opal

The Slider

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport