#1 Lisa Wiegand

Lisa Wiegand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:18 PM

I've heard a crazy, disturbing rumor from several sources & am wondering what other folks out there are hearing. I'm told that very soon CRT field monitors will be phased out for "environmental reasons" and manufacturers will soon only be making LCD monitors for this purpose. How can that be? I have never been satisfied with the quality of viewing on LCDs -- the black is not black and the angle of view has a huge effect on the image. Anyway --- what have ya'll heard?

Lisa

#2 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

Yeah I have heard in Europe they are really pushing LCDs because of environmental laws. I am TOTALLY with you on the black level issue. I worked at a TV station once where we were the first station to goto DVCPRO in Georgia and so everything should have looked great on air but because of a older router and mis calibrated TBCs the black level was extremly high which made most of our programming look washed out. I think the best LCDs up until now have had contrast ratios under 800:1 but now I have seen specs on some saying 3000:1 which is what the Panasonics best plasmas are doing . Lcds don't have burn in problems and should last 60,000 hours plus(over 7 years non stop) so they do sound more promising now. Though if they are anything like our single chip LCd projector they never have good reds and over time it loses even more red and the overall images become greenish. I have seen the footage from the SONY HDV cam on their professional LCDs which I assume are 720p because of the nature of lcds. ANd to be honest footage from outdoors looked grainy and soft. I don't know if that was the conversion from 1080i to 720p or 1080p, or if it was the camera itself. Probably was alittle bit of both. Just a couple of years ago when I worked in consumer electronics retail we hardly ever sold a lcd because of the black level issue and the fact that a 37inch Sharp LCD was over $4000. Just the other day I was flipping the channels and the guy on Shop NBC said LCDs are outselling plasmas 3 to 1. Not quite sure if I believe him and if I were buying now I still would probably go for a Sony CRT.

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:00 AM

Don't know about professional CRT monitors (where proper recycling may be easier to mandate), but CRT monitors usually contain quite a bit of lead, and traces of other materials that shouldn't find their way into landfills (e.g., rare earth phosphors and cathode emission enhancers). The "dirty little secret" of the electronics industry is that it can leave quite an environmental impact.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:35 AM

At NAB 2005, someone pointed out with some irony that at a Panasonic demo of their use of H-264 compression going onto a D5 deck, they were using a Sony HDTV CRT monitor to show off the results -- since Panasonic stopped making HDTV CRT monitors.

Yes, CRT's are going to become obsolete, partially due to environmental laws in the E.U. but also because it's starting to become cheaper to mass-produce flat-screen TV's. Don't know if Sony will continue to make pro HDTV CRT monitors as a specialty market with some sort of E.U. exemption (small usage items like for the film industry can get manufacturing exemptions since the environmental aspect is considered low.) But I don't know if the market will get too small for a major company like Sony, and I doubt a small company would take-over making HDTV CRT monitors, like for color-correction suites.

In a way, if everyone in the future is watching HDTV on LCD's or DLP projection, etc. then it makes sense to time the image on that kind of display technology.

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Visual Products

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc