#1 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:47 PM

Shooting a music video in one of these VIP rooms and it is all red and I mean bright red. Red floor, red walls, red power points, red beds....

The only way around this I can see is to dress the set with different fabrics, fake walls - then pump bucket loads of light into the foreground and use some dedos to highlight nice bits of the background - and thereby crunch the background down

Another option could be to balance the red down in TK - but it would mean testing in the location and that would cost money since they are booked almost every day

Any ideas to get that VIP room vide and yet loose some of the redness - like maybe lighting foreground slightly blue (test problem - see above)

Note - shooting on 5218, tungsten lighting (kino, gekko kisslite and maybe some dedos)

thanks

Rolfe

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

It would be simple to control the level of red saturation in post color-correction (unless this is for print only, and even then, the red probably will not look too heavy on the print.) I don't think you need to do anything special.

I did once light part of a red-painted location with Bluescreen Kino tubes (to simulate some blue neon) and discovered that the blue tubes put out such a narrow wavelength that whatever red wall was lit with the tubes came out nearly gray.

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Technodolly