#1 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:10 AM

I'm shopping for a light meter. Is there a huge difference between the Sekonic 508 and the Cinema dual 558? I'll be shooting HD and 16mm. Thanks.

#2 filmmakermilan

filmmakermilan
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:38 AM

I've personally only used the Sekonic up until now. I think it works great with any format. I tend to use it with video or 16mm projects

#3 Cillian Daly

Cillian Daly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

Howdy.

just "invested" in a Sekonic L558 Cine. Only have it a couple of days, so I'm only playing with it at the mo'. It has the cine feature advantage, such as being able to change the shutter angle in 5 degree incriments, and filter compensation etc, and every frame rate i can imagine. It does light up when it gets a low reading which is kinda cool, but I'm sure other meters do the same. If I take good care of it, it should do me right through college and into the professional world of film making. It feels nice in the hand, but the button layout does suit right handers better (damn you lot!), but i've figured out a contorted way of holding it to suit my south paw tendancies. It'll probably give me repetitive strain injury, but I guess you have to suffer for your art! I've taken some stills photographs using the camera's (canon EOS 30, or Elan 7 for the American viewers) meter in different modes, and the reading I was getting from the Sekonic. I've to pick them up tomorrow. I have noticed the Canon to overexpose slightly on ocassion, so we'll see what happens.
Anyway, I like the meter so far, and I'm shooting a 10 minute short on 16mm in a month, so I'll see how well it performs.

Just as a query, does anyone out there know if this meter, or others like it, would perform within a reasonable toleerence level straight out of the box? I.e, if i turn it on, set it to 24 FPS, at ISO 200, and expose some 16mm film rated at ISO 200 with the F-stop set at what the meter tells me, will my film be reasonably well exposed, or is there a chance it could be more than a stop out either way? I will be in a position to compare it to a minolta III (i think) nearer the shoot, but it'd be nice to know sooner.

Hope some of the above helps, John.

regards,

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport