#1 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:33 AM

As I'm weighting all the options of the differing cameras, one feature of the HVX 200 seems to sway me in that direction. That is 1081 24P. The new JVC has 720 24P and an interchangable lensse which has high marks at the moment for me. Interchangable lenses!!! However am I getting greedy and overlooking things with the HVX200 and the 1080 24P? Is there a good reason to hold out for this camera? Is 1080 24P going to look that much better than the 720? I'm assuming that is I'm looking for the best cinema look in HD for under $6000 the HVX200 is the wise choise?

#2 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:59 AM

As I'm weighting all the options of the differing cameras, one feature of the HVX 200 seems to sway me in that direction.  That is 1081 24P.  The new JVC has 720 24P and an interchangable lensse which has high marks at the moment for me.  Interchangable lenses!!!  However am I getting greedy and overlooking things with the HVX200 and the 1080 24P?  Is there a good reason to hold out for this camera?  Is 1080 24P going to look that much better than the 720?  I'm assuming that is I'm looking for the best cinema look in HD for under $6000 the HVX200 is the wise choise?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You will probably pay roughly $10k for the HVX with two 8GB P2 cards. Not to mention the cost of accessories the applies to both cameras such as a tripod, head ($2-3K), mattebox and follow focus ($3K) etc....

$6k will get you a camera body. You can put MiniDV tapes in it and shoot MiniDV... but you won't shoot HD w/o the P2 cards and you will have to hand hold w/o a tripod and head ($2-3k)

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:24 AM

I don't think it is a clear choice except that the HVX200 uses 4:2:2 DVCPRO-HD which is less compressed with more color than 4:1:1 HDV, so you might find it harder to color-correct the JVC footage in comparison and not pick-up artifacts. But the interchangeable lenses on the JVC and the convenience of recording to tape may outweigh the extra quality of the HVX200 recording, so it just depends.

I'd wait until someone does some product reviews.

#4 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:02 PM

Interchangable lenses!!!

It's hard for me to see the economy of interchangeable lenses on the HD100. Sure, maybe you could put a 1/2" SD Lens on there (using an adapter) but a more attractive reason to have a lens mount is perhaps to use a wide angle HD Lens. The cheapest one of those is $12,000US.

I'm a Pana-Junkie and thus I think you would find a better value in the HVX200, considering the Panasonic's already have a pretty wide-angle built in (4.5mm on DVX/HVX vs. 6.7mm on the HD100 Standard Lens) The visual difference is enormous! Sure, the "Wide Angle Lens" for the JVC does offer an even wider field of view (3.3mm) but, it just isn't worth 12 Grand.

The JVC will shoot a form of HD for a lower cost than the Panasonic, of course. JVC is sluggish to meet shipping dates on the HD100. I don't plan on getting an HD100, as it obvious. But, I'm still going to wait for reviews before putting any spend towards an AG-HVX200.

Cameras are big investment.
Let the experts play first on someone else's dime, I say!

BW

#5 Daniel Andreas

Daniel Andreas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:07 AM

As I'm weighting all the options of the differing cameras, one feature of the HVX 200 seems to sway me in that direction.  That is 1081 24P.  The new JVC has 720 24P and an interchangable lensse which has high marks at the moment for me.  Interchangable lenses!!!  However am I getting greedy and overlooking things with the HVX200 and the 1080 24P?  Is there a good reason to hold out for this camera?  Is 1080 24P going to look that much better than the 720?  I'm assuming that is I'm looking for the best cinema look in HD for under $6000 the HVX200 is the wise choise?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having seen nothing but DISAPPOINTING results with HDV cameras, I would definitely recommend for you to take a close look at the HVX200 when it comes out in Q4. This camera will not only shoot 720p but also 1080p and you can go to either P2 or Hard Drive*. The only other camera that is capable of capturing 1080p is the CineAlta. Moreover, this Panasonic camcorder will be recording a SERIOUS HD SIGNAL with great color space, the same as the VariCam, not some pro-sumer MPEG-2 signal with a 60:1 (!) compression to MiniDV. HDV must NOT be considered "High Def" as broadcasters including HDNet and Discovery HD will not accept anything shot on this inferior format.

What's the point of interchangable lenses for a platform that was (initially) developed because Japanese consumers wanted to record their weddings in something HD-ish that would play back on their HD monitors?

* 3rd party portable HardDrive solutions will be available

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Glidecam

Abel Cine

CineTape