• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student
  • Montreal, QC

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:29 PM

Hello to all,

I have a question for anyone with an answer :lol:

I was offered a Sekonic L-558Cine brand new and significantly cheaper than my camera store. The only catch, it is the 'CE' version which apparently means it is not compatiable with the FCC version (USA model) or RT32 module and pocket Wizard. Would this be something to fret about? I'm a relatively amateur user, studying animation, cinematography and of course still photography, but I won't be putting it to professional use for quite sometime.

Anyways, can anyone see a problem with a non FCC 'CE' version L-558Cine? Or should I just go ahead and buy her?

Thanks!

Chris Flint
Montreal, Canada

#2 Mitch Lusas

Mitch Lusas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

I've had the same lightmeter now for four months, and have not been disappointed with it. Not being compatible with the pocketwizard has not harmed anything I have done so far, although I have not been involved with any projects involving the need for wireless-synch-shooting.

One of the main things you want to look at is what you are planning on using the lightmeter for. If you want to use the spot and incident meters for lighting scenes in film, you will be set with the Sekonic L-558. When it comes to cinematography, the pocketwizard is more of a gimic than a necessity. The only downside I've found so far is it's size.

Back to the pocketwizard. The only time I can think that you would use such a feature would be in your still photography. If you plan on doing a lot of still shots involving freeze framing from multiple cameras (ie., dancers on a trampoline), then you may want to look into getting the pocketwizard. However, if I'm not mistaken, you can buy a pocketwizard unit by itself. If this is true, then I would advise: get the discounted light meter, and when you need wireless-synch-shooting capabilities, buy a separate pocketwizard controller.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Mitch Lusas
Virginia Beach, VA

#3 Jeff DiMambro

Jeff DiMambro
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:55 PM

I bought the 558 model, not the cine, and i love it. Much better than two different minolta meters to tote around. Although, i still havent gotten used to the size either. The thing came with a gargantuan case so it looks like i've got a purse strapped to my side when i'm walking around.

Jeff DiMambro
Detroit, MI

#4 Christopher Flint

Christopher Flint

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student
  • Montreal, QC

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:23 PM

Hey thanks for the replies!

Mitch, I have read alot of people saying how bulky the 558 is too! :huh:

So I guess it is safe to say the the 'CE' is the Japanese spec. version?

Where did you pick up yours if you don't mind me asking... what brought you to buy the CE rather than the regular one?

Thanks again

Chris Flint
Student
Concordia University; Film Animation
Montreal, Canada

#5 Rupert MacCarthy-Morrogh

Rupert MacCarthy-Morrogh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Cork, Ireland

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

Hi Chris
I have 558 with the CE mark, the CE mark is a european union safety thing to say it woun't blow up and set fire to your fingers. ;) All new electronic kit sold in the EU (most european countries) have to have it.

PS its an excellent meter.

Hey thanks for the replies!

Mitch, I have read alot of people saying how bulky the 558 is too!  :huh:

So I guess it is safe to say the the 'CE' is the Japanese spec. version?

Where did you pick up yours if you don't mind me asking... what brought you to buy the CE rather than the regular one?

Thanks again

Chris Flint
Student
Concordia University; Film Animation
Montreal, Canada

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#6 Mitch Lusas

Mitch Lusas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:40 PM

Hey Chris,

I have forgotten where I bought it, although it was online from LA. However, a friend is out looking for the same light meter and saw one on Ebay for $370 US (again not compliant with FCC pocketwizard standards).

There are two reasons why I got this one instead of the US compliant light meter. First, the price was better. Second, I saw the pocketwizard feature as a gimic. However, I knew what I was shooting would not require such a feature.

Hope that helps.

Mitch Lusas
Virginia Beach, VA

P.S. As for the size, I no longer wear the accompanying 'purse' on my side. I just readjusted the strap and wear it around my neck. The LCD takes a little more of a beating, but it allows me to move quicker, and feel less bulky. If you care for your LCD, you can get plastic guards for it.

#7 Christopher Flint

Christopher Flint

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student
  • Montreal, QC

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the replies!

This has been quite the research project :lol: . After speaking with fellow students in Animation. Many are suggesting going with an older 608 or 508. Due to the Zoom feature, which would be very helpful when working on smaller scale projects 'ie puppet films.
My newest question, to Cine or not to Cine. Has anyone really profited from the Cine features on their Sekonic? For my applications I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be missing much, though I'd like to hear others' opinions about it.

Chris Flint
ConU. Film Animation
Montreal, Canada

#8 hoytevanhoytema

hoytevanhoytema
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:12 AM

The most important and useful feature on the cinemeter: the fact that you can lock your dial. On my old seconic I had to tape it...or find how framerate /shuttertime had changed, without knowing when...

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Opal

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio