#1 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:23 AM

I have some macro work coming up - Matty "requiem for a dream" L - kind of stuff. I am thinking a ringlight - can be a kamio or maybe an Arri junior as backlight.

I don't have much experience on macro but I will shoot about T8 or higher - 16mm macro Zeiss

I need to shoot body parts - stuff like fingers, small of back, eyes and lips mainly

Any advice?

thanks

Rolfe

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:52 AM

I have some macro work coming up - Matty "requiem for a dream" L - kind of stuff. I am thinking a ringlight - can be a kamio or maybe an Arri junior as backlight.

I don't have much experience on macro but I will shoot about T8 or higher - 16mm macro Zeiss

I need to shoot body parts - stuff like fingers, small of back, eyes and lips mainly

Any advice?

thanks

Rolfe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Is the Zeiss the iris compensating one? If not remember at 1:1 you have to open up 2 stops! More of an issue with 35mm, but plan on losing 1 stop, and DOF will be in fractions of an inch ! (Not sure if thats a 16mm lens or 16mm film!) You may need a longer focal length if thats a 16mm lens as you may well be touching your subject!

Stephen

#3 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:38 PM

that is the problem - I just ran a little test and the person has to almost touch the lens (but if they touch it then we lose light and get a lens shadow)

I am wondering how to light close up - It seems OK if you just pump loads of light in (but keeping it out of the frame is a minor issue) - I haven't got a ringlight to test with but I imagine it is too far forward to be of use?

More testing coming up...

Any more help?

thanks

Rolfe

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

that is the problem - I just ran a little test and the person has to almost touch the lens (but if they touch it then we lose light and get a lens shadow)

I am wondering how to light close up - It seems OK if you just pump loads of light in (but keeping it out of the frame is a minor issue) -  I haven't got a ringlight to test with but I imagine it is too far forward to be of use?

More testing coming up...

Any more help?

thanks

Rolfe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rolfe,

IMHO you need a longer lens for the ECU's assuming 35mm format then 85-135mm range. With close focus and exposure compensation wide open may well be about T5.6 effective.
If your hand holding you will almost certanly have to pull focus yourself. Whatever stop you work at DOF is MINIMAL. Try overcranking mabe 30 fps unless you want to see slow motion.
A slight defusion on the lens may help, possibly a 5 denier net from Wolford. You don't have much room for a matt box unless you use the 135mm!
I think the ring light may be more in the way and not bright enough but its fun to try!
A 5k or 10k Tungsten through double defusion 4x4 frame will give you a big soft if thats what you want. I used a 5K recently and wished I had a bigger lamp!

Have fun,

Stephen Williams Lighting Cameraman
www.stephenw.com

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport