#1 Daniel Andreas

Daniel Andreas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:13 AM

I would like to hear from DPs who have used Zeiss DigiPrimes or Fujinon HD Primes on their SDX900. Any experiences / recommendations? Also, is the SharpMax a must?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:49 AM

I've used the Digi-Primes on an F900 and they were really nice.

As for the Sharp Max, it just saves you a little time when doing a backfocus check, which otherwise requires you to place a Seimens Star Chart or something similar out at a set distance, set the lens to that distance, adjust the backfocus, etc. A Sharp Max takes much less time to do the same thing.

#3 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:12 PM

The DigiPrimes are great lenses, I've used them several times with the SDX-900 with great results. Obviously, the optical quality is superior, and they are exceptionally user-friendly, with uniform 95mm fronts, common focus gear positioning, etc. Their veiling flare resistance is exceptional.

On the SDX-900, you won't need much detail enhancement at all with the DigiPrimes. If you use them an HD zoom that's not the DigiZoom, you're probably well advised to look carefully at adjusting detail settings for primes and the zoom to make sure the zoom and the primes intercut well.

The SDX-900 is a remarkable SD camera in that these lenses aren't overkill. But still, at $250/day per lens (more for the 5mm and 70 mm usually), the price is steep.

The SharpMax is a time saver and always useful to have, especially for checking back focus on the wide lenses, but it's not essential. The SDX-900 is pretty stable back-focus wise, I've had it out in myriad conditions with many different lenses, never seen much drift.

J

CineTape

Glidecam

Opal

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery