#1 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:59 AM

Hi,
I am looking into lenses and seen some film tests of different ones. I really like the CS4. I wanted to know your opinion and recommendation on lenses before I test my self (I cant test too much).
i am looking for a set of lenses that don?t flare to much because a lot of the film will take place in an office area with 360 degrees of windows with daylight coming in and we will be shooting directly out with the windows on the bg. As well I want a neutral or warm feel to the lenses, not the colder one as I have seen in some. And I really don't like the hyper sharp lenses.
So what I am really looking for is a set of neutral, warm, no flare, and slightly soft set of lenses.
Thanks for any info and recommendations.

Best Miguel

#2 F Bulgarelli

F Bulgarelli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:17 PM

I would consider the older zeiss t2.1's or the t1.3's.
I know people praise the S4's which are fine lenses but I find the older zeiss a bit softer to the eye while still maintainning good resolving power.
As long as you have a good matte box and hard mattes you don't have to worry too much about flare.

Francisco

#3 Mike Williamson

Mike Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:47 PM

When I was looking at lenses for a recent project, I asked the owner of the rental house about the differences between the older Zeiss lenses (Standards or Superspeeds) and the newer Zeiss lenses (Ultraprimes). He said the main difference was that the Ultraprimes have significantly less flare, especially when aimed into light sources. I would imagine that this is true with newer Cookes vs. older Cookes, etc., so if minimizing flare is a goal, I'd look at the newer lenses available to you. For lower contrast and less flaring, maybe the Cooke S4's would work.

#4 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:17 PM

Great,
Thanks, The thing is I will be shooting a lot with bright sources some time directly to the lense, like blown out windows, roof lights etc. Especially a huge steadycam scene with no cuts where we are in a low angle looking up.
Thanks.
Miguel

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Opal

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies