No replies to this topic

#1 skot_blank

skot_blank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:33 AM

Ok, my questions and confusion about muslin balls / musballs / muzballs breaks down like this. I guess people have a preference for them over china balls because of the different diffusion material (muslin) that they are constructed with. I have heard two main reasons in my research 1. able to take a higher wattage bulb (more than 500 watts? So does that mean they are constructed with something other than the 650w rated porcelain sockets? And don?t people put 500w bulbs safely into china balls?) 2. The different light quality you get from the muslin as a diffusion material. Different material means different characteristics ( no real confusion with that, but if anyone would like to chime in with thoughts about the different materials I would love to hear some personal views (although I have read the diffusion topics in the achieves ) To keep away from a lot of reposting of the earlier discussions on diffusion we could keep the discussion to diffusion materials for china balls and muslin balls.

So are people generally putting more than 500w in them to make them ?useful?? If so does anyone know what type of socket is used in these higher wattage versions? For that matter what bulbs would one go with in these higher wattage units.

I am looking to build a prototype unit to see how it will potentially work for me on some upcoming projects, so any helpful hints or words from the wise would be appreciated.

I guess another question would be what type of muslin is used? Does it come in strengths? So maybe like thread count? Or is it all mostly the same kind of generic muslin you could pick up at any fabric store?

Muslin balls have come up in some of my reading of older AC magazines and I was interested in finding out more about them and peoples thoughts on the use of them. Most recently found the mention of them in the lighting of ?The Game? shot by Harris Savides.

Skot
Student cinematographer

Abel Cine

Opal

Glidecam

CineTape

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC