francoisdop

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

Hi everyone ...

I am currently shooting a short film S16mm over 2 week end and this following next week end, I have to achieve this specific shot : the sun coming out of the clouds.
I hope i'll be lucky with the weather (sun + clouds) but i am very concerned how to set up my exposure filming directly towards the sun !!!! ... I will use the 7217 (200T), .... does anyone can help me to achieve this shot ? (afraid to take a sopt reading directly to the sun!!) ..

many thanks

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:44 PM

Do absolutely NOT take a spot reading directly into the sun - that's the complete wrong reference! You want the sun to glow and be bright, not expose for it! If you do so you'd have a faint glow where the sun was and everything else would be black.

Leave the spot meter at home (spot meters are a dangerous tool and should be used very sparingly anyway), take a incadescent reading and expose for that. No need to overcomplicate stuff.

"But if I take a reading when the sun's behind a cloud, then when it comes out everything will be overexposed!". Yes correct, exactly like in real life - when the sun pops out it gets brighter. If you absolutely want to adjust you can underexpose slightly when the sun is behind the cloud, but this can just as easily be achieved in post if need be. Some people would argue that an iris pull is the right thing to do under such circumstances, but I don't advocate that. An iris pull often draws attention to itself and changes the tone of the image - I'd just let it fall wherever it may.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:05 PM

It also depends on how large the sun is in the frame. In a wide-angle shot, I'd expose for the sky and let the sun flare out. In a super telephoto shot, I might take a spot meter reading of the sky just next to the sun, but honestly, you could guess and be pretty close. With something as bright as the sun in a super telephoto shot, you could be a couple of stops off and just get a different feeling but a usable image.

You could use a digital still photo to get a quick idea of what different exposures worked for the sky & sun.

#4 francoisdop

francoisdop

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:25 AM

Thanks a lot for your answers ...

Unfortunatly i don't have any still digital camera (will get one soon).
So, basically, the best is to take a incident reading when teh sun is behind the clouds and expose for that,? ... just afraid that when the sun will comes out of the cloud it will be completly burn out (totaly white frame!)

PS :

Sorry about saying to take a spot reading directly towards the sun, this wasn't what i wanted to mean (I am french and my english is quite poor, especially when i write too quick!!) ... but taking a reading of the clouds when the sun is behind.

#5 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

Thanks a lot for your answers ...

Sorry about saying to take a spot reading directly towards the sun, this wasn't what i wanted to mean (I am french and my english is quite poor, especially when i write too quick!!) ... but taking a reading of the clouds when the sun is behind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, sorry for that. Yes, by all means, if you want take a reading of the cloud with the spotmeter - that should probably take you close enough.

#6 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:46 AM

I should meter with a spot ( but not the sun ) and decide wether cloudls + sky blue should fall on the scale, maybe clouds at Zone 7 ( that to have some texture ) and let the rest fall were it belongs or where it may fall.

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Opal

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS