9 replies to this topic

#1 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:48 PM

I looked on their website and the only postive stocks I could find were print stocks. Is this true? Or am I stupid? Does Fuji not make any reversal film for the camera that could be then cross-processed? I'm looking for any options especially since Kodak only has the 5285 as well. Sorry, I forgot to say I'm looking for 35mm. Any help would be great. If anyone knows of any type of film that could be cross-processed and any experience with it would be spectacular. Thanks guys.

Travis

#2 Mike Williamson

Mike Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:55 PM

Fuji was making a motion picture reversal film, but I believe they discontinued it recently. Much like 5285, it processed in E-6 chemistry and was basically an adapted (or maybe just differently perfed) version of a Fuji still stock. Anyway, it was called Velvia, I believe the speed was 50D, only available in 35mm and very expensive. You might still be able to get some, I think the stock number was 8540. I'd get in touch with a Fuji rep and talk with them about it.

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

Theoretically, any E-6 stock can be perfed for 35mm MP. The sprocket holes are the only difference between 35mm still and 35mm cine film. It all depends on how much you are getting. I have heard that, in the past, Kodak has custom-made still film stock (IIRC Tarantino used some custom-made Kodachrome 35mm in a movie of his) into movie stock, but I'm sure you'd need to order quite a bit of it. I believe Kodak's minimum order length is about 10,000 feet of film. I'm sure you'd need to get a similar ammount of film from Fuji to justify them taking a portion off one of their master spools and perfing it specially for you.

Regards.
~Karl Borowski

#4 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

Velvia in MP was never available in Europe for some reason.

#5 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:56 PM

I looked on their website and the only postive stocks I could find were print stocks.  Is this true?  Or am I stupid?  Does Fuji not make any reversal film for the camera that could be then cross-processed?  I'm looking for any options especially since Kodak only has the 5285 as well.  Sorry, I forgot to say I'm looking for 35mm.  Any help would be great.  If anyone knows of any type of film that could be cross-processed and any experience with it would be spectacular. Thanks guys.

Travis

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't like 5285, you didn't lose anything when they discontinued Velvia.
Velvia is from the same cathegory as E100VS (5285), high contrast, high saturation, difficult to scan/telecine. It's just that Velvia has that...Velvia look to the colors , and 5285 has a different look. But both have similar image characteristics.
Velvia is a very dense film, not like Kodachrome, but not far from it, and it would be difficult to transfer it to any digital medium, well exept for drum scanners and such.

If they had made Astia into a motion picture stock, then that would be quite different from what Kodak has to offer. Astia would be similar to a print from negative film in regards to contrast and saturation.

#6 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:40 AM

Fuji still makes reversal print stocks?

STeven

#7 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:31 PM

Fuji still makes reversal print stocks?

STeven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that I know of, at least available outside Japan.

#8 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:10 PM

Velvia is from the same cathegory as E100VS (5285), high contrast, high saturation, difficult to scan/telecine. It's just that Velvia has that...Velvia look to the colors , and 5285 has a different look. But both have similar image characteristics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

E100VS I thought better warm colors Velvia better blue, wonderful turquoise.

Shoot the image on both and combine in Photoshop :D

I've seen some pretty good looking xfers from 85 though.

Astia - interesting idea.

-Sam (I'm joking....)

#9 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

I should qualify that; Velvia can produce striking reds etc but seems to have this weird characteristic of seeing "through" makeup and as I discovered shooting oils red underpainting. Strange response in red.

-Sam

#10 John Hyde

John Hyde
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

Yes, a couple weeks ago we shot 35mm Fuji velvia for a commercial and it looked fantastic! Ultra rich colors and contrast were abundantly present for a different nostalgic look. Super sharp and grainless!

Spectra Film and Video in North Hollywood did the E-6 processing and telecine dailies for us. They were very helpful and their quality was excellent. They also offer great cross processing and color neg (ECN-2) services as well.

Just remember, it is more difficult to shoot than neg. Take care with your exposures.

Fuji Velvia Motion Picture Film

Spectra Film and Video

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineLab

Glidecam