Bad transfer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jeremy edge

jeremy edge
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hi,
Some of you may remember I posted some stills of some really grainy fuji eterna a few weeks ago.Well,I just had the footage re-transferred and it looks fantastic.There is grain ,but its not bad and has a very pleasing look.

The first transfer was done scene to scene on a thompson shadow.The new one is a best light on a rank cintel mark 3.

The guy with the shadow....I gave him some notes and told him he could take a FEW liberties and some stylistic choices as I had seen some of their work and thought it was great.However his versions of my suggestions are extreme exaggerations....For example...for a scene I asked for good contrast and nice blacks and he made the blacks so deep that a navy blue shirt was black .Some scenes where I wanted windows SLIGHTLY blown out...he blew out so hard there is nothing but a white fog where the windows should be.His super jacked up contrast also brought out the grain making using the shadow a worthless benefit.His choices are way out of what anyone would consider a "good" look.

The Shadow should clean the floor with the Rank.....but next to the new footage the pricey transfer was embarrassing!

I was already getting a standby rate ...would I be an arse to ask for a discount or something?The footage IS unusable ,but I was not there and he TRIED to listen to my notes but failed to come through.So he could say its my fault.i'm thinking I probably have to eat this one but it really sucks.

I have to give props to movielab/colorlab for feeling sorry for me and giving me an excellent rate and doing an amazing job.

Who said ..."It's not what you have but how you use it?"

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:37 AM

Good to hear.

One lights or unsupervised transfers always look crap because they let the assistants or the 'RGB broadcast-safe-value' guys do them, with obvious results. It's never the superstars of graders that do one lights...

I think one lights should be done away with, really. I mean, when you're in editing judging footage even professionals can't stay objective - inevitably a shot that looks extra terrible on the one light but could have been beautiful after a grade, might get ousted or left out because it looks so horrible. We think we're professionals and that we can 'see though' that, but I know for a fact we can't. This is why one should never show footage that isn't ready to people - it's impossible to ask of them to fill in the blanks.

At least a supervised grade should be attempted. I know it's hard to find money and time to do so for the production, but in the end I find it's worth it.

#3 jeremy edge

jeremy edge
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:06 PM

Actually the scene to scene was on the shadow...it looked awful.

We did a one light on the rank and it came out awesome.
They said their printer lights were running perfect ...that I had flat dead on exposure for the whole ride.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:30 PM

Actually the scene to scene was on the shadow...it looked awful.

We did a one light on the rank and it came out awesome.
They said their printer lights were running perfect ...that I had flat dead on exposure for the whole ride.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

I alway shoot a colour chart on the front of the first roll. Once the colourist had problens grading the chart and started on the first scenes. Everything looked like poop!
I said go and grade the chart first, he could not, so I said try your telecine test film! There was no green channel working! That was on a Shadow! I knew the film was fine as I had sen it on the analyser at the lab!

Ask for a full refund on your first transfer!

Stephen

#5 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:33 PM

would I be an arse to ask for a discount or something?The footage IS unusable

If the footage really is unuseable, you shouldn't have to pay for it.

So he could say its my fault.i

That's his bid, not yours. Whose side are you on- yours or his?

Frankly these situations are always difficult to resolve, and if there's an argument, then it will indeed run along the lines you expect. They will say they tried to follow your instructions, and if you are now happy with an uncorrected transfer (since you say the one-light on the Rank was awesome) then you've changed your mind, and they can't be expected to pay for that.

On the other hand, if you are already on a discounted rate, there isn't so much at stake for either side. If they want to look after you (future business) then you'll get a further discount: if they'd rather not have you back then you are stuck!

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Visual Products