Best Mini DV tape brand

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael King

Michael King
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:25 AM

I know your not supposed to mix brands of tape due to different lube problems, but are there any opinions on which is the best brand of tape. Any to avoid. Any good deals?

#2 Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

Sony or Panasonic would be your best bet.

Edited by Jay Gladwell, 20 August 2005 - 09:37 AM.

#3 Michael King

Michael King
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:33 PM

thanks, Jay.

#4 Gregory Andracke

Gregory Andracke

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:50 AM

I know your not supposed to mix brands of tape due to different lube problems, but are there any opinions on which is the best brand of tape. Any to avoid. Any good deals?

I follow this guideline... MiniDV tapes: Pana tapes use dry lube whereas Sony tapes use a wet lube, they should not be interchanged within the camera. Ergo, I use the tape made by the camera manufacturer. I do the same with the SDX900

taperesources.com has great prices and good delivery.

#5 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:52 AM

I follow this guideline... MiniDV tapes: Pana tapes use dry lube whereas Sony tapes use a wet lube, they should not be interchanged within the camera. Ergo, I use the tape made by the camera manufacturer.

Couldn't agree more.

Sony tapes will gum up non-Sony decks and cameras over time. If you are not shooting on a Sony camera, don't use Sony tapes. I've had to replace heads because of Sonys.

Edited by Matt Irwin, 19 November 2005 - 02:54 AM.

#6 David Silverstein

David Silverstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

Thanks did not know that. Ive been using Fuji Mini Dv tapes does anyone know if its wet or dry lube. I use it becuase my teacher gets it and gives it out for free but I really dont want to have to replace my head.

#7 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:17 PM

No, I don't think Fujis are wet. I've used them before without issue, but I normally stick to Panasonic tapes for everything non-Sony. That's just the brand I chose to stick with.

#8 Peter Wilkens

Peter Wilkens
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:48 AM

Sony tapes will gum up non-Sony decks and cameras over time. If you are not shooting on a Sony camera, don't use Sony tapes. I've had to replace heads because of Sonys.

When I rented a Canon XL1S a year ago, the rental agent specifically asked what brand tapes I'd use and made me promise not to use Sony tapes. He explained the whole dry and wet lube differences and said the Sony wet lube caused nothing but trouble and was the single worst way to dirty and even ruin the heads very quickly.

When I got home, all of a sudden I realized that the most problems I've had with our home VCR's was when I used the cheap Sony tapes. The VCR heads seem to always need cleaning. Meanwhile, when I'd switched to a pack of TDK tapes, they went for months without needing cleaning. It was a revelation of sorts.

We immediately tossed all our Sony tapes and I've stuck to TDK ever since. No problems.

#9 renatus

renatus

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:47 AM

You know,
I went over and over this age old debate when I got my DVX so I could stick to one brand for good. I shoot mostly docs for tv and indie stuff, and not a week went by when I had to run out and grab tapes or have a PA bring me tapes from some place random nearby and it always ended up being a sony. I know, I freaked because everything I ever read says get Panasonic since it's the same brand and dry lube, but it's not the lube. It's the CHANGING back and forth between lubes that'll screw your heads. My advice is to pick a brand and stick with it, Sony OR Panasonic. I Choose Sony after the first few days because I knew I'd be able to find them easier when I need one in a pinch and I didn't want to end up on a shoot with no tapes and a director saying "I don't care about your damn heads, we need to shoot and all we can find right now are sony". So I've shot hundreds of hours on my camera with ONLY Sony and never had a problem (knock on wood). That's my advice. Take it or leave it.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

CineTape

The Slider

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC