On monitor vs. Developed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 filmmakermilan

filmmakermilan
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:28 AM

Just as the topic states, I was wondering whether or not there is a difference in the look of a developed negative as opposed to what you see on the monitor? I just started working with film and I don't know this. Should I expect to see my developed version look underexposed/overexposed?

#2 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:49 PM

The monitor on the film camera is a very poor tool for judging what the final image will look like: it is primarily used for framing when working with film (this is very different when working with HD).

The video tap has an automatic white balance and aperture that makes it constantly try and average the image out: if you are mixing color balance, or deliberately over or under exposing for effect, the video tap won't reflect that very well (it will try and normal everything out).

Additionally, the contrast ratio of video is mucher great than that of film, so area's that might be dark on the video, or so bright as to be completely overexposed on the tap, might be entirely within the sensitivity of the film and will have image detail on the film, which can really burn you if you can't see out the windows on the tap, but on the film you see buildings out the window you didn't want to see.

Lighting to the tap will lead to lots of problems.

chuck haine

#3 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:19 PM

Hey now,

I agree with Charlie. I wish the tap could be used like a monitor from a video camera, but it can't do it. I'm behind on advances in technology, but I don't recall anyone offering much in the way of help. It would be fine if someone would come up with a near equivalent system to assess the TTL image via a monitor. Think of how much time that would save on lighting set-up alone.

#4 filmmakermilan

filmmakermilan
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:39 AM

i thought that i couldnt rely on the monitor. It really would be a great help if it could tell us the truth, as it does in video

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:36 AM

i thought that i couldnt rely on the monitor. It really would be a great help if it could tell us the truth, as it does in video

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless it is set up properly, and viewed under controlled lighting conditions, a monitor often does NOT "tell the truth", even with video cameras. The Kodak Display Manager System helps post houses maintain consistent displays for making critical decisions:

http://www.kodak.com...=0.1.4.18&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com....1.4.18.4&lc=en

#6 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:14 AM

Can't use the monitor for anything else but framing, really. That said - if the image looks good in the monitor and you're exposure is within reason, then chances are it'll look good in TK, too. But you didn't hear it from me :D

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine