Photo

Help understanding Bolex battery power (amp hours)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Craig Knowles

Craig Knowles
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Director
  • Cleveland

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:24 AM

Can someone please explain to me the concept of "amp hours" in the context of battery power?

I have a Bolex EBM, which takes an internal "12v 1.2Ah" (amp hour) battery. I'd like to use an external source, specifically a Bescor 12v battery belt. Shelton Communcation has a Bescor "12v 3.4Ah" battery.

1) Is it safe to use this a "12v 3.4 Ah" battery with the Bolex, or will the "3.4 Ah" somehow overload the camera, as it only requires "1.2 Ah"?

2) Or, is Ah a measure of current over time and thus not at all related to power?

3) If this were the case, then could I use, say a "12v 14Ah" battery without frying the camera as well?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

#2 Evan Kubota

Evan Kubota
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:39 AM

Amps are a measure of current over time, as you said. The camera will only draw what it needs - if the current the camera draws is (estimate - not accurate) 2 A, a 3.4 A battery will give you around 85 minutes of operating time. As long as the voltage is the same as the internal battery you're fine.

Can someone please explain to me the concept of "amp hours" in the context of battery power?

I have a Bolex EBM, which takes an internal "12v 1.2Ah" (amp hour) battery.  I'd like to use an external source, specifically a Bescor 12v battery belt.  Shelton Communcation has a Bescor "12v 3.4Ah" battery.

1) Is it safe to use this a "12v 3.4 Ah" battery with the Bolex, or will the "3.4 Ah" somehow overload the camera, as it only requires "1.2 Ah"?

2) Or, is Ah a measure of current over time and thus not at all related to power?

3) If this were the case, then could I use, say a "12v 14Ah" battery without frying the camera as well?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery