Lighting kit advice, which softlight if any?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jack ratigan

jack ratigan
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:06 AM

Hi all,

I am at present trying to put together a lighting kit mainly for independent short films on DV which are for the most part shot in regular size house rooms etc.
Where I live, I can rent red heads/blondes quite cheaply so didn?t really want to buy these, I have opted firstly for 3 150 watt dedo lights as a start.

What I am really wondering is whether I need to invest in a soft light such as a Photoflex Starlight or Rifa light, will this type of light really give me more light control than a bounced redhead or several redheads through a diffusion frame for example.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks, JR

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

If you're going to do something like that, I'd look at fluorescent for compactness and efficiency. And frankly, if you don't have pro clients to impress, they're such a complete no-brainer to build that I wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

Phil

#3 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:08 AM

Check the big thread about soflights. But the bigger the source relative to the object, the softer the light. Therefore a blonde bounced into a white wall next to your actor will be much softer than a Rifa light on the same actor. Bouncing eliminates direct light and is a good way to achieve softness.

The Rifa's are nice, though. I use them a lot and they're compact and easy to transport and rig. My only complaint is that the bulb goes a bit to often. Luckily, it isn't very expensive.

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine