8 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:25 PM

Hi,

Further to recent discussion of black and white video, here's some stuff I shot today for comment and consideration:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The concept was "the reluctant photo session", so I was trying to make it look like a still photo studio type of setup. Obviously this was never really going to be perfect with the equipment we had, so it's a bit of a noisy mess, but still.

Images © Nettle Records Ltd.; used with permission.

Phil

#2 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:47 PM

Very nice, Phil. I especially like the restrained lighting on the first 4 shots.

I'd appreciate some background info, such as which camera, was the B&W achieved in-camera or in post, a brief description of the lighting set-up, etc.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

#3 Lars.Erik

Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

Hi Phil,

as you said, you had limitiations on the equipment. I don't know those limitations, so it's difficult to make up my mind on the photos.

I like the first 4 ones, don't like the last 3.

The girl looks beatiful, both the shots and the lights. The background on picture 2 is nice, with a distinct seperation from the background.

The 3 shot is kind of flat. I think this is because the wall is not very exciting, it's lit with a consistent light.

And the kicker on the drummer is weird looking. Kinda makes his head look longer with the lights on both sides of his backhead. But then again it kind of remindes me of Depeche Mode in the late 80's, early 90's. So mabey I like this shot anyway. Probalby need to see the video to decide.

The last picture is just not very exciting. Not enough contrast in the lights I guess.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

Yes I'd love it all to be MCUs of the lead singer too, but unfortunately we are kind of required to show the whole band at some point!

Nothing clever about the lighting, just fluorescents to both sides.

Camera was a Panasonic AG-DVC200 with Fuji S20x6.4 lens.

Phil

#5 Charlie Seper

Charlie Seper
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

Looks good to me. Well, the girl could use a new pair of jeans... but maybe she'll hit it big and get out of the poor house. B)

#6 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:37 PM

... Nothing clever about the lighting, just fluorescents to both sides. Camera was a Panasonic AG-DVC200 with Fuji S20x6.4 lens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Generic fluorescents or KinoFlos?

A PAL DVC-200 ... that's a great cam for the price.

Was the B&W achieved in-camera, or in post?

What color was the background? Did it have a fine pattern/texture in it? I'm curious why it looks noisier than the rest of the scene.

In any event, I like the look. (Reminds me of an old Beatles film.)

- Peter

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

Hi,

> Generic fluorescents or KinoFlos?

Neither; rather specifically reengineered units with high frequency (and ouput!) ballasts.

> Was the B&W achieved in-camera, or in post?

Post; it won't do it in camera.

> What color was the background?

About 18% grey.

> Did it have a fine pattern/texture in it? I'm curious why it looks noisier than the rest of
> the scene.

It's noise; yes, horrible, isn't it. It's worse here because I used the Photoshop desaturate command, which seems to just take max(R,G,B) as many computer programs do. Much cleaner to use the HSL filters which take sum(R,G,B)/3 and thereby draw information from all three channels.

Phil

#8 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:17 AM

I'd forgotten you have some custom lights; looks great.

It's interesting how the noise is more noticable in the background than in other parts of the image (such as people, props, etc.)

B&W is so nice ... which is a thought that often occurs to me when I'm viewing a scene in the B&W CRT viewfinder on a pro video cam (wishing the client would use the B&W image instead of the color one we're recording.)

Thanks again.

- Peter

#9 Alvin Pingol

Alvin Pingol
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Student
  • California

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:47 AM

>>It's noise; yes, horrible, isn't it. It's worse here because I used the Photoshop
>>desaturate command, which seems to just take max(R,G,B) as many computer
>>programs do. Much cleaner to use the HSL filters which take sum(R,G,B)/3 and
>>thereby draw information from all three channels.

So that's what that does! I've always wondered why it looked a little different. Neat.

I believe this may have been fixed in Photoshop 7; the desaturate command and the slider on the HSL prompt produce identical results.

Great shots! Though the rimlight on the drummer is a little intense - would look more appropriate, IMO, placed at an angle behind, pointing down on the drummer... The contrast achieved with the soft sources on the lead singer is perfect - the sources create pleasing shadows without making the subject look flat. I like it.

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Opal

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets