#1 Johannes Ikovit

Johannes Ikovit

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:34 PM

I experienced a fogging in the viewfinder of a s16 modded SR3 this past weekend and am trying to account for it. It happened two consecutive afternoons (between 2pm and 6pm). We were shooting indoors looking out through a window and my best guess is it had something to do with the direction of the sunlight. My concern is whether or not the fogging I was experiencing in the viewfinder will effect the image on the film. (the exposure was correct and the director wants the exterior to blow out) I'm shooting again this weekend and want to be prepared for this again or at least know not to worry about it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh, the second thing, is there really no way to lock down the diopter on an SR3?

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:23 PM

Was there a temperature change? Had you just brought the camera in from outside and it was much cooler inside? Other than a temperature change I don't know what the fogging could be caused by. Eyepiece fogging won't affect the image as long as there was no fogging on the lens itself.

#3 Johannes Ikovit

Johannes Ikovit

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:36 PM

Was there a temperature change?  Had you just brought the camera in from outside and it was much cooler inside?  Other than a temperature change I don't know what the fogging could be caused by.  Eyepiece fogging won't affect the image as long as there was no fogging on the lens itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There wasn't a temperature change and no fogging on the lens just on the viewfinder. It's a strange thing. I wonder if ozone levels could cause it.

#4 oarad

oarad

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

SR3 ground glasses (or rather "viewing screens") sometimes apear low contrast - evan milky. maybe the situatuin you describe, while shooting out the window, intesified this effect rendering your image to apear foggy. If this is the case than your negative should be fine.
On the other hand, some 16mm optics have less than good flare handeling capebilities and a bright window in a dark room is more than they can take, resulting in a low contrast image. If this is the case, well...

Let us know how the dailies turned out.

Oren

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks