#1 Mark Allen

Mark Allen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:23 PM

For part of a project I'm working on, I need to shoot some of the rehearsals a dance group is doing for their PBS special. This was tagged on, not budgeted, so I'm just heading out there with a DV camera - but I don't want it to look as bland as is will with the overhead flourescents - so I'm looking for suggestions on what to rent which might give me some mood lighting - yet would be easy for me to manipulate on my own. Was thinking of a kino or a lowell and a bounce and that's about it... I am looking for a sort of moody and partial shadowed look (which will hide the bland BG). Mostly going to be inserts of hands and feet - but there will be a couple full body shots.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Trying to keep it simple - even if the suggestion is "go out and get a flourescent bulb from home depot" - if you think it works, suggest it.

(The footage will become hued to sepia eventually btw)

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:33 AM

For part of a project I'm working on, I need to shoot some of the rehearsals a dance group is doing for their PBS special.  This was tagged on, not budgeted, so I'm just heading out there with a DV camera - but I don't want it to look as bland as is will with the overhead flourescents - so I'm looking for suggestions on what to rent which might give me some mood lighting - yet would be easy for me to manipulate on my own.  Was thinking of a kino or a lowell and a bounce and that's about it... I am looking for a sort of moody and partial shadowed look (which will hide the bland BG).  Mostly going to be inserts of hands and feet - but there will be a couple full body shots.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Trying to keep it simple - even if the suggestion is "go out and get a flourescent bulb from home depot" - if you think it works, suggest it.

(The footage will become hued to sepia eventually btw)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mark,
What's the room like? If there are windows, I'd use kinos w/ daylight tubes and turn off the overheads. You can key them with the windows (but not sun pouring in) and fill or edge with the kinos or vise-versa. If there are no windows, I'd still use kinos with the 2900k tubes and leave on the overheads. Just don't have them stand DIRECTLY under the overheads or undo the ones directly overhead. That way, the light hitting them is what you've put there. Take both kinds of tubes and a minus-green white balance card. You can use the overheads to good effect in a low angle full-body wide shot if you put a pro-mist on to make the overheads halate. Then you turn inherently ugly lighting into something cool.

Remember, dance studios usually have walls of mirror.

#3 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:07 PM

I might suggest some par cans. I've shot a number of dances and performing arts. My own personal taste is to reduce the performers to basic shapes and create some edges with a hard backlight (sort of a back-lit silhouette). I can round up some stills if you'd like to see.

#4 Fredrik Backar FSF

Fredrik Backar FSF
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • sweden

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:16 AM

hey! If possible; just get a bunch of black cloth and put it on the floor to kill all bottom fill. Lots of mood=)
Take care!

Technodolly

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera