Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:39 PM

Hey there,

now this is a kind of tricky question. Because I'm wondering about the film stock they used on Italian films in the 70's. Specially on crime movies.

Films by Enzo G. Castellari and people like that. "Big Racket", "High Crime", etc.

These films were shot fast and with many one takes. But I kind of like the look of them.

I know they had this kind of "fake" anamorphic thing were they exposed half the frame, and in post stretched the picture and thus creating "anamorphic". Correct?This also contributed to the look I guess.

I'm not hoping on many replies here, but if any have any suggestions, I'd be happy to listen to them.

Thanks

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:44 PM

Hey there,

now this is a kind of tricky question. Because I'm wondering about the film stock they used on Italian films in the 70's. Specially on crime movies.

Films by Enzo G. Castellari and people like that. "Big Racket", "High Crime", etc.

These films were shot fast and with many one takes. But I kind of like the look of them.

I know they had this kind of "fake" anamorphic thing were they exposed half the frame, and in post stretched the picture and thus creating "anamorphic". Correct?This also contributed to the look I guess.

I'm not hoping on many replies here, but if any have any suggestions, I'd be happy to listen to them.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kodak films of that era would have been 5251, 5254, and 5247 chronologically. "Techniscope" was not "fake" anamorphic, it used spherical lenses and 2-perf pulldown in the camera, shooting a 2.35:1 aspect ratio that was then optically squeezed 2X to produce the 4-perf anamorphic release prints.

#3 Lars.Erik

Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:57 PM

Great. Thank you for that info, John.

I'm sorry. But I'm mainly a HD guy. Shoot film once in a while. Are these stocks still available?

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:59 PM

Great. Thank you for that info, John.

I'm sorry. But I'm mainly a HD guy. Shoot film once in a while. Are these stocks still available?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. For 5247, you are only a few years too late:

http://www.kodak.com...4.12.24.4&lc=en

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:45 PM

These were standard Kodak stocks of the day; I'm sure you can get a modern stock to match some aspect of that time, whether it is grain, softness, saturation, etc.

What matters more is what your impression is of stocks of the day rather than the reality.

Personally, I once shot 5277 (320T) rated at 160 ASA and felt it had a certain feeling of 5254. But someone remembering these stocks are more contrasty may feel that 100T or 200T pushed one stop may be more like what they remember.

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets