James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:25 AM

Hi,

I'm shooting my first 16mm short and the director is looking for a specific look in a memory sequence. I am looking for the best stock, we will be shooting with a Aaton XTR prod super 16 using mainly Kodak VISION 2 500T 7218

It is supposed to be inside a tunnel and when the character exits it's raining with a flood of purple light from a street lamp. What is the best stock for picking up this specific colour in dark situations? There will be no other light source and therefor a very high contrast ratio.

Thanks.

James.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:11 AM

Hi,

I'm shooting my first 16mm short and the director is looking for a specific look in a memory sequence. I am looking for the best stock, we will be shooting with a Aaton XTR prod super 16 using mainly Kodak VISION 2 500T 7218

It is supposed to be inside a tunnel and when the character exits it's raining with a flood of purple light from a street lamp.  What is the best stock for picking up this specific colour in dark situations?  There will be no other light source and therefor a very high contrast ratio.

Thanks.

James.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are likely using it: 7218. Do you really mean "purple light", or is it a mercury vapour street light? Remember, mercury vapour lamps have very little output in the red portion of the spectrum.

#3 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:29 PM

You are likely using it: 7218.  Do you really mean "purple light", or is it a mercury vapour street light?  Remember, mercury vapour lamps have very little output in the red portion of the spectrum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

The director wants 'purple' light, i'm thinking voilet or lavender, it's a memory, fairly stylistic but what the script calls for in this sequence.....

Would certain stocks pick this colour better because it will be the controlling colour after the character exits the tunnel or is 7218 pretty much your best bet for the wide range of shooting.

James.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:41 AM

Hi,

The director wants 'purple' light, i'm thinking voilet or lavender, it's a memory, fairly stylistic but what the script calls for in this sequence.....

Would  certain stocks pick this colour better because it will be the controlling colour after the character exits the tunnel or is 7218 pretty much your best bet for the wide range of shooting. 

James.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All the Kodak stocks should capture a magenta or purple color accurately. What filter are you using to get that color?

I still think 7218 would be a good choice.

#5 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:07 AM

What filter are you using to get that color?

Hi,

i dont want an overall colour dominance so i dont want to put a filter in front of the lens. I will be gelling the lights with probably a Lee 058 Lavender, 180 Dark Lavender or 181 Congo Blue...Should this effect what you have previously said?

Thanks for your help John

James

#6 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:17 AM

Hi,

i dont want an overall colour dominance so i dont want to put a filter in front of the lens. I will be gelling the lights with probably a Lee 058 Lavender, 180 Dark Lavender or 181 Congo Blue...Should this effect what you have previously said?

Thanks for your help John

James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd suggest running a quick test to see which filter gives you the "look" you and the director want.

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape