#1 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:29 AM

Hello everyone !

Some people here know that I developped a website, since I sometimes posted links here and there.

Formely, it was made for my students and it only contains texts (I don't care neither have time to do something trandy for what's about its look, sorry...).

It is written in french.

I noticed from the statistics that about 50 % of the people coming to my site are from US and many other countries, coming from here because I don't do any publicity for it anywhere but here and on my student's website (http://www.citizen-cannes.net).

I also noticed that the references through Google are also made from people in US, England, Australia etc. though they come through a key word research made in french.

So, this is my question : As I am going to keep on putting stuff on the site in the following weeks and months, I was wondering if it was worth me to translate some articles in english.

If anybody feels like he would like to just have a translation of some precise article or on any precise topic, please let me know, either here in public (wich I always prefer) or either through an MP.

Also, please don't be ashamed to tell me if you see any error or b******t inside, I like to correct these.

Thanks and regards,

#2 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the reference to your website, which I just looked at for the first time. There is some very good material on it. I think that you are crazy if you commit to translating some of it, because it will be an awful lot of work, but I suppose that we all have our moments of madness :)

#3 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

Exactly !

It is because I noticed so many english speaking people coming to it that I'm thinking of translating somethings.

I was thinking of using some translator for the first step, then correct it and then, ask some english speaking people to correct again. That wa, it may not be that harmfull...

Also, writing them in french at the first place is the major work, you know. I consider translating afterwards shouldn't be such a big job. After all, writing this kind of thing I consider is part of my job...

(I assume my madness part...)

#4 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

If you get to the point where you are looking for volunteers who read English and French to help polish up a translation, after you have done your own corrections, I'd be willing to help - well, for one article anyway. Of course, since there's no shortage of native English speakers in your part of France, maybe you've got an army of volunteers lined up :)

#5 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

Thanks very much indeed !

For sure there ain't many native english speakers around me. There is an english teacher in my school but I think that there is nothing like a native speaker.

I'd be very very glad if there would be an army of volunteers lined up here...

BTW, R Edge, you said there is good material on my site. Can you read french ? What material do you consider valuable (could give me a idea of what could be interesting to translate as a first step) ?

The main purpose is to define what articles would be worth translating first...

I actually have translated a few things for David so that he puts it in the FAQs but I have no following on that... Maybe an argument about circle of confusion on the DOF purpose is the cause, I don't know...

#6 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:41 PM

I must correct my post since I've just discovered what David's done in the FAQ section, about a month ago already but I didn't come around here that often ever since...

He's done a very great job, so anyone should have a look around (even though it's still a work in progress)...

http://www.cinematog...?showtopic=8069

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineTape