• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:45 PM

A few days ago I picked up a copy of Max Keller's Light Fantastic. It is about stage lighting, but it is precisely that perspective that I'm finding useful as I read through it. An impressive book.

Has anyone seen Vittorio Storaro's two volume Writing with Light? I was able to briefly flip through a copy of volume I in the bookstore at the Dia Museum in Beacon, N.Y. recently, but I have't found either volume in a NY bookstore. There appear to be positive comments on Amazon on Voume I, not so sure about Volume II. Is either volume worth buying?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

It's three volumes (not to be confused with the small paperback ASC book on Storaro also called "Writing with Light"). LIGHT, COLOR, and I forget the third.

I have Volume One. It's an impressive collection of stills that Storaro took during the shoot, although I wish he had resisted the temptation to do in-camera double-exposures. If you have the money, it's nice to have and flip through. The text is less interesting unless you want to read Storaro's philosophical musings. I'll get the other two someday when I have the cash.

I'd also love to get the HUGE coffee table Taschen book on Kubrick's films.

#3 Oli Soravia

Oli Soravia
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

The text is less interesting unless you want to read Storaro's philosophical musings.

This is funny. Storaro is a (for me, one of the best) cinematographer, with unique visions (in the art of cinematography) based on intellectual and emotional arguments to go beyond the limits. It`s not the tecnical rules (which can be learned by everybody) to realize great cinematography, it`s the individual personality.

However, I started reading this site some years ago and I`m really amazed about the time you spent to respond to lots of peoples questions, David. That`s great!

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:35 AM

Don't get me wrong, Storaro's intellectualizations work great for him. It's just that when you've been reading them for twenty years like I have been, it can get repetitive. Personally, I wish his working methods were as well documented, that's all.

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

The Slider