2 replies to this topic

#1 skot_blank

skot_blank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:47 AM

What can I expect to see in the image if I was to underexpose the footage 2 stops ( on purpose ), then in telecine recover the under exposure. Will it recover and look like it was exposed normally?

Skot

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:21 AM

What can I expect to see in the image if I was to underexpose the footage 2 stops ( on purpose ), then in telecine recover the under exposure. Will it recover and look like it was exposed normally?

Skot

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

It will start getting grainy! Not such a problem with low speed film.
Thats a bit like shooting Day for Night then wanting Day. Not recomended.

Stephen

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:24 AM

Skot

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you underexpose a color negative film by two stops, you can expect to see a loss of shadow detail, and increased graininess. When a print is made, an underexposed negative will generally produce a print with less density in the black areas ("milky" or "smoky" blacks). Although a colorist can generally adjust the transfer parameters to make the black areas "blacker", it still entails a change in the tone scale and loss of shadow detail.

Whether these changes are acceptable to you often depends on the type of scene and the "look" you are trying to achieve. For example, the effect of underexposure is more visible in scenes with lots of dark areas, and the increase in graininess is more visible with smaller formats and faster films.

If the underexposure was accidental, consider the use of a "push-1" ECN-2 process to make the negative transfer more like a normally exposed negative (although it will not completely "recover" the look of normal exposure).

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Opal