#1 Scott Davis

Scott Davis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:28 AM

I just began shooting with the SDX900 and am having trouble with some of the looks it gives me. Sometimes the skin tone of the subject comes off as a really red color. I think this might have something to do with white balancing under my ARRI kit and then stepping into some flouresent light. but i'm not sure. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Scott

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:40 AM

I just began shooting with the SDX900 and am having trouble with some of the looks it gives me. Sometimes the skin tone of the subject comes off as a really red color. I think this might have something to do with white balancing under my ARRI kit and then stepping into some flouresent light. but i'm not sure. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Scott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,
Try using the preset white balance when under controlled lighting, see what that looks like. Have you deviated from the factory matrix settings? Tread only with caution, there. If you are using the factory pre-sets and pre-set white balance it should look fine. Very nice, infact. It's a great camera.

#3 Lars.Erik

Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

If the tips Tim said don't work. Just reset the camera. You never know who used it before you and what they did.

ALWAYS reset the camera before using it for the first time. Then set the settings in the menu to your likings. (only use if you know what they do)

Edited by Lars.Erik, 30 August 2005 - 10:58 AM.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:56 PM

The color balance is too red, then correct your lights or white balance properly.

BUT if the red chroma level is too strong, check to make sure you aren't using a Color Matrix that is boosting red chroma (like ITU-709 does or "Cine-Like Color" does). If turning off the Matrix or Cine-Like Color doesn't help, then use the Matrix to reduce red saturation. Assuming that the SDX900 has some sort of Color Matrix control.

#5 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

The color balance is too red, then correct your lights or white balance properly.

BUT if the red chroma level is too strong, check to make sure you aren't using a Color Matrix that is boosting red chroma (like ITU-709 does or "Cine-Like Color" does). If turning off the Matrix or Cine-Like Color doesn't help, then use the Matrix to reduce red saturation.  Assuming that the SDX900 has some sort of Color Matrix control.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it has a very complex set of matrix controls and it's very easy for the unfamiliar to get lost in there. I'd recommend not messing around with them unless you have a scope and someone who knows the camera very well. Better off just re-setting to factory and going from there, being new to the cam as he says he is.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:39 PM

Well, if he owns the SDX900, he better start learning to use the Matrix, and if he's renting it, the rental house can help him go through the menu, so there's no reason not to set-up the camera properly for the look he wants. Unless the problem is not the Matrix, but that he doesn't know how to use white balance properly...

#7 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:36 AM

I don't know if there is any relation, but I sometimes find that my 4-megapixel (single Bayer-filtered chip CCD) digital camera really accentuates a ruddy complexion. Somehow the camera enhances the subsurface blood vessels that give some people a blushed, flushed, or ruddy look -- maybe extended IR sensitivity?

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC