Joys of a crappy lens, DV, 8-bit & JPEG

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:30 PM

The attached frame grab is nothing else but a perfect example of what not to do -- but at least the view is nice.

This frame is from my new DSR-450WS 2/3" DVCAM camcorder, pointing out my window towards San Francisco to the west. We've finally had some relatively clear weather for the past few days after a few weeks of fog, although there's still a light haze. (I'm looking forward to October when we often have some crystal-clear weather.)

This is a great illustration of the many ways a good cam's imagery can be degraded, including by using an entry-level lens (Canon YJ19x19B4-KRS), DV's 5-to-1 compression, 8-bit color depth, and JPEG compression.

There's a polarizer & UV filter in front of the lens, the iris was at f2.8 with the internal ND filter set at position #4 (1/64ND). The cam's white balance/electronic color correction was set at the 5600K preset, and the cam is in its native 16:9 aspect ratio mode.

The camera's detail level & other settings were adjusted using the suggested values listed at the end of Simon Wyndham's article on his website:
http://www.simonwynd...camerasetup.htm

The frame was grabbed via Firewire onto my PDX10's memory stick card (640 x 480 mode), then resized to 640 x 360 in my Mac and resaved as JPEG at 98% quality.

So, kids, can you count how many times the image was degraded? :)

I'm looking forward to doing a similar test at some point using a better (rented) lens and a frame grab using my cam's SDI 10-bit 4:2:2 "live" output.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo
DSR_450WS_SF_wa_0080.jpg

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS