4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Varner

Jason Varner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

I had a long witty post that I accidenttaly deleted so here is the truncated version. Lens fungus can be removed with salt and alcohol swirl lightly until desired clarity is acheived. Take Care, Jason.

#2 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

I had a long witty post that I accidenttaly deleted so here is the truncated version. Lens fungus can be removed with salt and alcohol swirl lightly until desired clarity is acheived. Take Care, Jason.

Hi, could someone please elaborate more on this? I thought fungus was only able to be removed with X-ray exposure?

I think I got some fungus creeping in, into my 10-100 T3.3 Zeiss Zoom, it is tiny yet... barely visible, like little spider web on the very sides of the glass... you can only really see it in certain angles. Even though it may not effect the image yet I was thinking of trying something out to get rid of it it.. any suggestions would be helpfu... like, has anyone X-rayed a lens before? And how would you do it? I know some dentists that might let me do it with their equipment... anyone ever heard of this being done before?

Thanks!

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:43 AM

Hi, could someone please elaborate more on this? I thought fungus was only able to be removed with X-ray exposure?

I think I got some fungus creeping in, into my 10-100 T3.3 Zeiss Zoom, it is tiny yet... barely visible, like little spider web on the very sides of the glass... you can only really see it in certain angles. Even though it may not effect the image yet I was thinking of trying something out to get rid of it it.. any suggestions would be helpfu... like, has anyone X-rayed a lens before? And how would you do it? I know some dentists that might let me do it with their equipment... anyone ever heard of this being done before?

Thanks!

Although high intensity radiation is sometimes used to "sanitize" (e.g, killing bacteria and fungus to preserve food, or killing anthrax spores on mail going to government agencies), I've never heard of low intensity medical x-ray machines being used.

Here is a report about electron beam machines used to "sanitize" mail. Note the high intensity radiation used can cause physical damage to some materials:

http://www.i3a.org/p...ting_report.pdf

#4 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:46 AM

Oh wow thanks for that link John!

from the read I understand there was significant yellowing on the viewfinder lenses and flash lenses on the digital cameras they tested... I wouldnt have predicted that.

I read a bit about it on CinemaTechnic web site http://www.cinematec...ns_service.html where x-raying of the Zeiss lenses in particular is mentioned:

"In a worst case scenario, exposure to a strong emission of X-rays can kill fungus. This can be accomplished by exposing the lenses to the output of an X-ray device, set to a high exposure."
Cine Technic web site

I was confident I should try this X-ray exposure business till reading that PDF on sanitizing mail... now i am even more confused... :unsure:

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:56 PM

That report was for a very high intensity machine that kills almost anything organic, used to "sanitize" mail of things like Anthrax spores. I don't know if a medical x-ray machine would have enough power to kill fungus, but there is risk of damage to things like plastic and cements with very high exposures.

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Opal

Technodolly