#1 Ken Minehan

Ken Minehan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Singapore

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:01 AM

Hey guys, i was reading AC recently, and the DOP Rousselot was talking about lighting the set of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Space lights. What is that? Is it just a strong form of fill? He was talking about the Mac 2000 as well. Can anyone help me explain what these lights are and how theyare best utilized.
cheers
ken

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:46 AM

A space light is a bunch of 1K tungsten bulbs (I think six globes?) arranged in a star shape, pointed down, with a cylindrical skirt of silk or other diffusing material hanging down from that, often with another disk of the same diffusing material at the bottom (but not attached to the cylinder so that air can pass through.)

Looks like a bunch of glowing white cylinders hanging from the grid.

You can leave the bottom disk out if you want harder light to shine straight down, and you can turn off some of the globes to control the brightness.

#3 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:57 AM

Here's what they look like:

6k Space light

Mac 2000

You tend to see Mac lights used in concert and theatrical stage lighting .

#4 Ken Minehan

Ken Minehan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Singapore

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:41 AM

Here's what they look like:
6k Space light
Mac 2000

You tend to see Mac lights used in concert and theatrical stage lighting .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok. cool. Thanks for your help. The space light looks very much like a ruby 7, except hung and difused. The pics were very helpful. I now realise The mac 2000. i have seen them for stage lighting.

Once again thanks guys.
cheers.
ken

#5 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

Hey Ken,

To add to what David and Wendell said:

David is right. They typically have 6 1k FCM types bulbs and have two 60 amp 3 pin stage plugs for two three bulb curcuits. But you could put in any bulbs you want (well 1k and down).

I did a job for Fred Elmes once where he had us put one FCM in one circuit and two in the other. (It was a cheap job with no dimmer racks). But that has to be planned. Usually space lights are rigged and it will be time consuming if you want to change bulbs once they are up. It usually has to be done with a lift one by one, and set pieces and other things might be in the way, etc, etc.

There is also a socopex version (Ruby Seven has a Soco version too) for a better dimmer board control where you can turn them off one by one if production has rented the right amount of dimmer racks for the job. Or you can use Socos and "break in's" on the feed side and plug bulbs in one at a time to straight non dimmed power.

Space lights also have a skirt that fits over the cylindrical silk skirt down to the bottom, but leaving the bottom disk open.

And for those tight spaces there is a two K version.

Most of the time, they are used to create a layer of base exposure in a large space say a large stage or industrial building. And other lights are added on top of that depending what one is doing. But you could certainly use them as your only light source as well.

Best

Tim

#6 Arnaud M. St Martin de Veyran

Arnaud M. St Martin de Veyran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Paris

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

Hi Guys !

I was following the topics since it started.

I knew already what was a spacelight and i've a question about it :

I'm going to shoot a poker scene (one round table and four people sit around it) and the director want a very soft and diffuse beam light coming from the top. She wants darkness around so i've to lit just the table.

That seems pretty easy for me to handle this but i'm wondering about the unit i should use <_<

First of all, i thaught to use a spacelight with a dimmer. But after thinking about it i'm scared that it's gonna be to hard. I mean i'm gonna get the shadow on the eyes and i want to avoid as much as possible this. So i thaught to use a Falt Head from Kino Flo and maybe had some diffusion to it ?!

Anyway, my question is :
Wich unit between the Flat Head and the Spacelight will be the best to get less shadow on the eyes if lit by the top ?

I know that there is difference of power between them but that's not big deal cause here in France you can get some small spacelight (2Kw) or as someone said before you can turn off or switch some bulbs.

I'm focusing on the look. I'm looking for a real soft lighting beam coming from the top of the table with the smallest shadow on the eyes and still a darkness part as far as you go from the table. I want to get my background totally black.

If someone can advice me or maybe suggest an another unit it will be great.

Have a nice day.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:21 AM

The softer a light is, the harder it is to flag off of the background, unless the background is very far away. Basically you're talking about an overhead soft light -- not as big & powerful as a SpaceLight, more like a Chinese Lantern or a foamcore homemade softbox (with lightbulbs inside and a sheet of diffusion at the bottom) or an overhead fluorescent, etc. with a black skirt around the sides to keep it from spilling onto the background.

Willys Widgets

Opal

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

CineLab