Elisheba Monte

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:05 PM

Hello all,
I have been doing a bit of reading on front projection lately and it seems as though, even though it's an old system, there are still some people that put it to use.
Who uses it and why? Are there some cases where it would be better than greenscreen? I am very interested in learning how to use this system as I have one available to me but if greenscreen has entirely taken over, I would rather spend my time learning how to do that well.
Thanks

#2 fstop

fstop
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:13 AM

As far as process goes, I think more tend to go for rear projection which gives you in camera reflections. Shows like 24 and films like ARE WE THERE YET? showcase this. I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw front projection in a recent production.

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

Not really an answer to your question (at all), but this is always the first thing I think of when I think of front projection:

Front Projection for "2001: A Space Odyssey"

#4 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

Front projection does not require post production work like greenscreen. That means it has certain advantages if you are shooting for cinema release - you do not have to go through the digital matting process.

FP needs less projection light than RP and it is easier to avoid hot spots.

Of course FP has its limitations, but you get what you see through the camera, and Scotchlite is not that expensive - unless you want to rival CLOSE ENCOUNTERS with its 100 ft. FP screen...

FP is perfect for black+white, look what Lars von Trier did with it (also some RP in that movie) on EUROPA.

When you have a FP screen, it becomes a perfectly lit monochrome background for greenscreen or bluescreen - just put a coloured filter in the projector.

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport