Super 16mm...Which Stock?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 acoreasc

acoreasc
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:55 PM

Hello everyone! I was wondering if you could give me some insight into which film stock I might choose as the project has no money for tests. The film is a coming of age film starring two young children. The main settings are outside in sunlight and the interiors are mostly in an abandoned house (lighting is strictly window based - contrasty). My biggest units will be nature's gift (the sun), mirrors and 1.2K HMIs. There is one night exterior (two shots - a master and a CU) with my biggest units being 2K Fresnels, and the aforementioned 1.2K HMIs along with some smaller units. Aaton XTR Prod Super 16mm with Zeiss Superspeed prime lens. (speeds T1.3 to T1.8) I will rate whatever stock I use 2/3's of a stop slower for overexposure.

My question is which stock should I use? Here are my points:

1) I would like to use the 7245 50D - because of the fine grain, but is the new Vision 250D 7205 close enough in terms of grain, contrast and color that I can use it instead? I worry as the shoot is in late September that I will not have the long days I need (especially in regards to children) to shoot late without the necessary speed that the
250 D will give my in comparison to the 50D.

2) What about the Vision 100T (7212) has anyone had any experience with this stock that they can share?

3) Should I try and use the 250D for the night exterior or should I just go with the 500T 7218?

The color scheme of the film will be slighty warm, with high contrast and saturated colors. Any insight here would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Adrian Correia
acoreasc@snet.net

#2 Andy Sparaco SOC

Andy Sparaco SOC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 203 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago and most airline lounges

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:21 PM

7245D is the most fine grain highly saturated and contrasty color,camera, neg film Kodak makes.

7201D will be the finest grain film and the sharpest but lower contrast film Kodak has made once we see it released.

7205D is slightly less grainy in daylight then 7217T with filtration according to john.pytlak@ kodak.com

For night exteriors I would go directly to 7218T or possibly 7229T as it is lower contrast. You will have incandesent lighting nightside and will feel the "Need 4 Speed"

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Opal