Seeking career in ad Design

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:15 AM

Just a little background information on my self:

My name is Ronney Ross,23 and I am soon going to start school for marketing administration and eventually earn an A.A.S in Marketing Management/Administration. I have recently won and ebay auction for a Kodak (shoots 12,18,and 32 fps) Super 8 camera also a bell and howell Dual 8/S8 Projector. I haven't shot and film yet only a good bit of analog video as far getting a digital camera I seeking to shoot D8(reason: I going to buy consumer brand and comparing those only display cam at places like Target, Best Buy, and Walmart The sony TRV480 has more to offer for the under 500usd price range. (input for mic, variety shutter, whitebalance.) I have read books by Lenny Lipton and seen and heard stuff online.

The thing is once I can learn how to correctly expose S8 I would like to spend the next (Lord willing) year or two while studying marketing to build a portifolio. I would love to shoot McDonalds/walmart type commercials.

Is there a outline or said number of formats that should be included a DP/Directors portfolio:
S8 DV and some 16mm what about theater lighting?

Thanks and God Bless,
Ronney Ross

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

I think you are on the right track. I am about to make a couple of "practice" spots, one will use the Nike "just do it" theme, the other will be use the "priceless" Mastercard theme.

As for what format I will be using, one will be Super-8, the other will be digital-8 (are we the same person and don't even know it???).

My belief is as you come up with a theme, the pre-visualization of the theme in your mind and via storyboards will help guide you as to what format to use.

If you see yourself as more an ideas guy, try to hook up with a DP and perhaps you two can build up simultaneous demos.

#3 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the input and advice. The only thing is that I live in south Georgia and there no close film schools around other than SCAD(Savannah college of Art and Design) which is two hrs away so not sure how to hook up with a DP maybe I could run a local ad in the paper doesn't cost a thing so the worst could be just no response. I have Computer thats from Walmart (hp pavilion 503w 1.6 or 2GB 80mb ram i think) would like to work with premiere( if you have maybe I should let myself have it, lol. But is this system good enough to digitise footage will be performing self tranfers can't blow big cash on a pro-telecine plus I like to learn all I can and DIY transfers will help me advance in knowing how to stop flicker, test the look using flicker as an effect see the look if any? between shooting 18 and 24.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the input and advice. The only thing is that I live in south Georgia and there no close film schools around other than SCAD(Savannah college of Art and Design) which is two hrs away so not sure how to hook up with a DP maybe I could run a local ad in the paper doesn't cost a thing so the worst could be just no response. I have Computer thats from Walmart (hp pavilion 503w 1.6 or 2GB 80mb ram i think) would like to work with premiere( if you have maybe I should let myself have it, lol. But is this system good enough to digitise footage will be performing self tranfers can't blow big cash on a pro-telecine plus I like to learn all I can and DIY transfers will help me advance in knowing how to stop flicker, test the look using flicker as an effect see the look if any? between shooting 18 and 24.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm by no ways a computer expert, but these days around 1 gig of ram is probably the minimum you want to run, especially if you have to have companion programs running at the same time as premiere.

I have read the biggest challenge with premiere involves actually outputting your result. So I would recommend shooting the simplest, cheesiest idea possible, like a day in the life of your dog, and see if when your done editing, you can actually output the result back to DV tape and DVD.

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Technodolly

CineTape