Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:54 AM

Hey now,

Whatever you get, make sure it has some form of mic jack-in. The built-in mics are darn near useless.

#3 filmmakermilan

filmmakermilan
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

in my honest opinion, its hard to get a good 3 CCD camera for that price. Try to see if you can get a used XL1 or a PD150. You'd probably be lucky if you can find them for that kind of a price.

#4 xtraview

xtraview
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:27 AM

in my honest opinion, its hard to get a good 3 CCD camera for that price. Try to see if you can get a used XL1 or a PD150. You'd probably be lucky if you can find them for that kind of a price.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

#5 Greg Gross

Greg Gross
  • Sustaining Members
  • 869 posts
  • Harrisburg,PA

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:44 AM

Xtraview,
As of two days ago(haven't checked since then)B&H Photo had some used
XL-1's,XL1S's,PD-150's for sale. Good audio is very important and you will
never be happy with poor audio. Its rare here in the east that one finds the
PD-150 for sale,used. You can use microphone off camera. Sometimes I use
two microphones simultaneously, a small microphone on the body and a mic-
rophone on a boom. A microphone on the camera picks up the operational no-
ise of the camera. Best wishes for your search. B&H Photo is in N.Y.C. and not
hard to find. 420 Ninth Ave.,New York,NY 10001. Video Dept. 800-947-1175,212
444-6675. If you are in the city you can get free one hour parking at 349 W. 34th
Street. Best wishes for your search.

Greg Gross

#6 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:42 AM

I recommend looking for a used VX-1000 the original 3ccd camera from Sony for standard 4:3 documentaries because of great low light performance at that price. For 16:9 widescreen stuff I would recommend the Sony TRV-900 since it has native 16:9 ccds. There is also the Canon gl1 which has more of a softer film look and is not quite as good in low light.

It is really all in what you are looking to do. To me it is worth the extra money to step up to the VX2000 from Sony which has much better picture quality than its older brother. And the VX1000 doesn't have a flip out color monitor.

What really separates these are the ccds size. The SONY VX-1000, and VX-2000 have the larger 1/3rd inch ccds. The Sony TRV-900 and GL1 have 1/4inch ccds. And the cheap Panasonic 3ccd cameras you are looking at offer only 1/6inch ccds. The smaller the ccds usually the worse it will perform in low light and almost everything will be in sharp focus (Looks more like a home video cam than movie, because in movies they reduce the area that is in focus to help us focus more on one part of the picture just like our eyes do in real life)

Though if you want a Really cheap 3ccd camera buy a new gs120 from Panasonic 1/6inch ccds or look for a used AG-EZ1 from Panasonic.

#7 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:49 AM

By reading some of your other posts I can tell you want to shoot a feature movie. So in that case I would have to almost force you to buy a Canon GL1. Though it is 1/4 inch ccds it is alot cheaper used than a DVX,XL1,etc.... And it has the Movie mode for the film look something the Sonys do not have. You should be able to get one under $1000 used and is a much better camera than the cheap Panasonics. Invest in a boom mic and lights too.

#8 xtraview

xtraview
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:56 PM

By reading some of your other posts I can tell you want to shoot a feature movie. So in that case I would have to almost force you to buy a Canon GL1. Though it is 1/4 inch ccds it is alot cheaper used than a DVX,XL1,etc....  And it has the Movie mode for the film look something the Sonys do not have. You should be able to get one under $1000 used and is a much better camera than the cheap Panasonics. Invest in a boom mic and lights too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mainly I wanted to get a mini DV to shoot audition and personal stuff. Now for the short film project I plan to use DVX100A shooting in 24p mode.
I looked at the review about GS250 and they all say good things about this camera -- newegg.com has it for $748
When I rent DVX100A it will easily cost me over 1K even if i get one day rental change for the weekend (3 days) kinda deal.
This camera is on sale at b&h for 2899 (aftet $500 rebate) without any kit -- just the camera.
So the question is ----- I will spend $2K (1K+ for renting of DVX100A + GS250 (800(including tax) ---- would it be wiser to spend extra $1K and
buy new DVX100A instead of buying GS250 and renting DVX100A for the project?

I looked at GL1 on ebay and they all go for around $1500 .. I would be cheaper to buy GS250 and rent DVX100A than buy GL1.

Please advice.

Thanks to all for reading and responding to my post.

Thanks,

RJ

#9 Jason Hamilton

Jason Hamilton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:36 AM

i would say buying dvx100a would be the better way to go, i've seen it as low as 2099 usd online, and you can get one with a kit on ebay for cheap as well. then when you shoot your short you just rent any sound and lighting equipment you need on a day to day basis.

jay

Edited by Jason Hamilton, 10 September 2005 - 05:37 AM.

#10 xtraview

xtraview
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:33 PM

i would say buying dvx100a would be the better way to go, i've seen it as low as 2099 usd online, and you can get one with a kit on ebay for cheap as well. then when you shoot your short you just rent any sound and lighting equipment you need on a day to day basis.
jay

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im leaning on buying GS400 now (1200) from b&h ..still considering other options
by the way .... i would not recommend you buying from any of the online stores
that has it so cheap.. read the review of each store @ http://www.resellerratings.com/

www.ExpressCameras.com
www.BestPriceCameras.com
www.USAPhotoNation.com

<--- all of these are scammers .. only trust newegg.com | b&h and others that have good reviews

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc