#1 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:26 PM

Hi,
I am buildin my camera gear package and have some questions.
There are some visual thing I want to do like streaks in shot by defasing the shutter, compensating exposure when I do speed ramps by shutter change during shot.

I am looking at the Gold II camera which can change shutter and ramps fps with accesories but the speed ramp is not crystal sync which for me is ok because it will be exteriors.

The other camera I am looking at is the millenium which has all this possibilities built in. As well I will be doing some steadycam shots.

Any one can comment me on their experience with his cameras?
Thanks!

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:21 PM

The GII is not a preferable camera for steadicam. I can't help you with the other stuff, but if you're doing steadicam you should do your best to stay away from the GII. A friend of mine broke his steadicam arm flying a GII recently. It's VERY heavy. A Millenium or Millenium XL1 or 2 would be a better choice.

#3 Jake Kerber

Jake Kerber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:44 PM

The GII is not good (best left to a tech at the rental house kind of thing) for doing mis-timed shutter effects either.

I believe the Millennium will allow you to the manipulate the shutter timing fairly easily.

-Jake Kerber

#4 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:27 PM

To shoot with the shutter completely off, which creates some nice streaking, can be done as a secret sofware thing on the 435 (since it has a separate servo driven mirror independent from the movements motor). It is weird to think that the image wouldn't be completely blurry if the shutter is off, but it isn't. I thought so myself until I saw the actual results of it.

Since the film gets pulled down for such a short time compared to how long it stays still, the streaking mainly affects highlights and bright parts. It is very visible, but not completely blurry as one would have expected. Only problem is you can't see thorugh the lens, so you have to set the shot up beforehand.

To access that function you have to go in to the service menu on the Arri, something an experienced camera tech/serviceman/focus puller can do. If they're in a good mood they'll let you have the secret buttons to press. I'm afraid I can't divulge them since I was sworn to secrecy by the guy I got them from.

#5 Larry Nielsen

Larry Nielsen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:22 PM

The GII is a great work horse, But I don't believe it will accomplish what you want. The Millinium XL on the other hand will deliver exactly what you want, Just make sure you have the FIZ unit for the camera, and the proper cables to do your ramp remotely. You can also throw the shutter out of phase very easily, if you know what you're doing. It can be programmed on the back of the camera and you can actually control where the streak is and how long the streak is to be. Using the center of the frame as zero, you can program the streak up 90 degrees or down 90 degrees. I only use 90 as an example, but you can set the streak at any height and it will stay constant when you turn the camera off and on. I know some operators complain about flying the millinium XL, as it can be to light, and some operators enjoy the weight of the XL, its just a matter of preference of your Steadicam Operator. I hope some of this helps,

Larry

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

CineTape