DSR-450WS "real" life
Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:24 AM
The following images were grabbed by Final Cut Pro (version 3.0.4; yes, I know it's old, but I'm not an editor) via Firewire and they appear to be better quality.
The lens was focussed on the "S" in the "Sony" cassette box logo.
The little hand-written sign within the image indicates the cam's current settings. In all cases the cam was set to 0db gain, no ND, and white balanced (once) for the 100-watt bulb lighting the scene.
60i with the factory default settings:
30p with the factory default settings:
30p with a "film look" setting (film gamma, detail level reduced, etc.):
30p with a film look and "B&W":
24p with the factory default settings:
24p with a film look:
24p with a film look and B&W:
I hope these images are more helpful than my previous attempts.
Comments & questions welcome.
All the best,
- Peter DeCrescenzo
Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:48 AM
Interesting. I assume this is in 16:9 mode?
The film setting seems pretty subtle. I might consider backing off the saturation a little, but otherwise it's pretty much the sort of competent image you'd expect from a Sony broadcast camera.
What lightsource is promoting those little highlights at the top of the markers? It's a dulling-spray moment!
Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:18 AM
The "lighting" (if I can call it that) was a bare 100-watt lightbulb positioned directly above the lens, hence the highlight reflections. The cam makes a pretty good-looking image, considering.
My apologies for the crude setup, but I wanted to get these "correct" images out ASAP to dispell the misinformation of the previous images.
As an aside, just for grins I enlarged a couple of these new images to 1920 x 1080. Of course, they exhibit all the limitations I'd expect: The ones which stand out are DV's 8-bit colordepth & artifacts and my current entry-level SD len's deficiencies. It makes me very curious to see what results would be possible using my cam's SDI "uncompressed" output and a broadcast quality SD or HD lens. I can see that something like AJA's IO-LD or the Bonsai unit might be a cool tool to have -- and the need for a good lens can't be overemphasized.
Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:16 AM
Are you sure your aperture was f/2.8 for both the interlaced and progressive frames? It really looks like you're getting a bit shallower DOF on the progressive frame (easy to see when looking at the spiral phone cord). I like the look of the "film" setting, though it is not an extreme difference between that and the standard setting. It seems you are gaining a little in the highlights, as seen on the hotspots on the telephone, which is good.
I love Altoids, too...
Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:54 AM
The particular "film" settings I used are just one of many possible combinations. The cam allows a wide variety of settings. The ones I used here are fairly conservative, and the difference between the default look and the film looks is easier to see on an NTSC monitor compared to a computer monitor.
All the best,
Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:47 AM
As for enlargements it might be worth downloading the trial for Magic Bullet, use its deartifacter plugin, then use Algolith to upres.