#1 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

I'm going to be shooting some color film at Magic hour (well, specifically, at sunset, and the hour before) Ideally, I would like to shoot on 50D to achieve the greatest color saturation, and finest grain structure, but would I be taking a risk by using such a slow speed film at that time of day? Would it be better to use faster stock?
Best
BR

Edited by Brian Rose, 04 September 2005 - 05:45 PM.

#2 Tomas Koolhaas

Tomas Koolhaas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • los angeles

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:16 AM

Hello,
I have never used such a low speed stock at that time of day, but I have shot other stocks around that time (Reala 500D, Kodak Vis2 250D, Fuji 125T, Fuji 500T, Kodak Vis 500T, Kodak Vis 250D).
I actually shot using Fuji 125T two days ago (on Reg 16mm) from 7:10pm to 8:00pm (sunset was at 7:28), at first I was at around a 5.6 but even ten minutes after sunset I was already shooting wide open at a 2 and by around 8:00pm even though I was at a 2 the girl's face I was shooting was reading almost two stops under.
I shot later than you will, but if you run into any scenario were you have to shoot longer than you thought you were going to, if you use 50D you may be in serious trouble exposure-wise.
I haven't used Vis2 250D on 16mm but on 35mm it worked really well for me, and it has very good saturation and a very fine grain structure, you might want to consider it.
I think the best thing you could do (short of getting some 50D and shooting a test at magic hour) is to get your light meter and go were you plan to shoot, at magic hour, and take readings at ISO 50 and see what you have to work with.
Here's an example of when I used Reala 500D at sunset.
markings_phone_copy.jpg
Cheers.

Edited by Tomas Haas, 05 September 2005 - 12:20 AM.

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Visual Products

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc